Cantilever Rear Suspension. Fab it for my 80 after my turbo build? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
129_0901_23_z+jeep_jk_wrangler_suspension+triple_bypass_shocks.jpg

This is on a JK and I am not JK.. LOL..
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...angler_evo_lever_suspension_system/index.html

Ok I really really like using my welding gear and brain.

Yep the front will get a more limber control arm system than radius arms.. But we have all seen 3 and 4 (parallel) linked 80s. Um this is new... Well atleast how well it is executed in a kit form albeit on a JK.

They got 14" of travel out of an 8" travel shock. Since that is a jeep the upper and lower control arms are not in the photo. They are closer to the wheel on the JK.. The stock control arm locations would not need to be changed on a FZJ80 but the panhard would need to be moved. You count do a Y link upper arm for a three link rear and toss out the panhard... https://forum.ih8mud.com/3214314-post129.html Hmmm maybe flip the Y over from that. Cleaner look, easier fab, better geometry.

The concept can be scaled up and with a longer over hang behind the wheel like we have yeild crazy travel. Yeilding Prerunner like rear bumps without gear and passengers having to cuddle with shock hoops and really huge kings or bilsteins. Sweet!

The subframe for the bell cranks (rocker arms) is a great spot for a straight as an arrow sway bar and could therefore become the home for a remotely adjusted sway bar such as this design. http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/swayloc/

Last edited:
It's kinda hard to see how that works just from the pic. Is it kinda like a swing arm on a mountain bike or dirt bike?

Looks cool however it works. Be the first, man

Neat but for an offroad truck I would prefer KISS...

It does look similar to a rocker arm for a mountain bike, or a F1 race car.

The cantilever concept has been wailed on for many years by the Baja crowd.. the remote sways have too. There is even a kit for leaf spring rear toy pickups. http://www.prerunnermaniac.com/Prer...ms-Rear-Cantilever-Rear-Suspension-System.php

You can only get so much droop without dropping the spring off the pads and fiting longer shocks can be done leading to the springs popping out but also only a bit longer travel shocks fit. Even with a coil over mounted like normal the limit is not much more.

I am kind of shooting for a crawl-runner. A blend of rock crawling and prerunning. A smooth ride over big whoopties and some flex for slow trails too. Big wheel travel and big flex when the sways loosened up.

The basic version of the JK kit just has coil overs the one I showed has bypass shocks. I want bypass shocks so I chose that photo.

I can see no reason this isn't a cure all ails suspension, for proponents of the coil over on any rear end, especially those with the confines typical the 70s/80s, yet no enterprising young buck (or doe) had yet to conceptualize and implement.

Anyone care to enlighten as to what I'm not seeing that negates this possibility?

i was looking at this at one point for the FJC Chris, I just lost interest. I've not thought of it since.............................

No reason it couldn't be done, except for money, and extra pivots that will require upkeep. And perhaps finding heavy enough springs. the rocker ratio would need to be planned and see what could actual fit but if the spring side is three times the length of the shock side a 500lb/in spring requirement now becomes a 1500lb/in. I know just looking off hand some rocker ratios will put you in the no man's land of spring values.

More my initial considerations were m for the 73, but no less interested for an 80, as I've a rolling drivetrain that'll be in need of love....plus I'm torn between DDing the newest addition and making good on my commitment to have my cake (DD) and eating it, too. (rock donkey)

Based on the fact no bodied rig will ever be towed to wheel, I'm of the mindset that the same design principles utilized for solid axle high speed desert racers would be the most beneficial to achieve both a streetable, but crawl-able rig.

No way to run coil overs without cutting the frame rail or running full widths, the latter still very tight and neither feasible with a lesser than sky high lift which has it's own detriments.

Seems a local solution.....but the logic to actually DO instead of talk about, is beyond my reach.

Although his 14" of travel to 8" shock is no where near a ratio of three. Many have thought about it. It's a proven concept on race cars bicycles and Baja as pointed out.

If rather use that space for storage. Read more recent reviews of the system. Now that companies offer simple "KISS" alternatives on the JK that don't require lots of maintenance and make a lot of noise for half the cost. It's no longer "all the rage".

Just my $.02 I even have a set of 9"
Travel fox with 750 spring rate springs in my basement. Found them cheap and couldn't resist. They where on a front ifs set up. And limited to 6" of travel. That's why I have researched it in the past and then moved on. I'd rather do a trailing arm mounted or angled mount to keep it simple and have more room to mount air tanks batteries whatever under there.

No reason it couldn't be done, except for money, and extra pivots that will require upkeep. And perhaps finding heavy enough springs. the rocker ratio would need to be planned and see what could actual fit but if the spring side is three times the length of the shock side a 500lb/in spring requirement now becomes a 1500lb/in. I know just looking off hand some rocker ratios will put you in the no man's land of spring values.

What resource are you using that stipulates a X3 spring requirement?

What is the GVW of a 4 door Jeep?

It takes a lot of research or trial and error to figure out the configuration, size and shape of the bell cranks. You'd also need to be sure to put some extremely heavy duty bearings in if hoisting that kind of weight in an off-road environment, but I can't see why it couldn't be done. I also don't really get why it would be any better than a well designed 4-link, aside from just being different.

Here is a pushrod suspension I've been helping out a buddy with:

20131130_165103.jpg

20131130_164959.jpg

20131130_165028.jpg

The issues with 4 link on an 80 is gas tank and lack of real estate for coil over, without notching the frame rail and poking through floor.....at least, as my dumb ass sees it.

Three link and pan hard still pose the same coil over placement concern.

I was saying if you engineered your own solution, the arms on the bell crank are a ratio of "being pushed/pushing" so if space requirements dictated that you could only use say a 3:1 ratio because you couldn't fit something else under there you would have to multiple spring rates by 3x.

If you did a 2:1 ratio it would be 2x, etc etc. But you obviously won't have the room for 1:1 or else you would just use the shocks as intended.

There are some serious mathematical equations that need to happen to calculate spring rate based off of corner weight and the simplest is based off of the degree of inclination of the shock attached to an axle and a frame:

Shock Angle Angle Correction Factor (ACF)
10° .95
15° .93
20° .88
25° .82
30° .75
35° .66
40° .59
45° .50

But once you start having the axle actuate a bell crank at an off angle which in turn actuates a spring through an arc in a ratio that has not be determined you have a whole lot of serious engineering or trial and error that is going to happen.

NEED TO LOOK AWAY.....

Having purposely distanced myself from those I know that run sprints, simply because I can't afford that addiction....well, and not many real competitors at 6' 1" and 225lbs... I will resist temptation by gazing upon no more.

What is it about tube, anodized AL, coil overs, and a steering wheel that's so damn irresistible?

On coil rates and space....

Why not follow similar to the one ton crowd and run two?

Another lever, for lack of proper terminology, but doubling up could satisfy and be kept in ~8" of real estate...

It's a home-designed and built car. It was designed from scratch in solidworks, but yes, it does take a lot of design cues from the Ariel Atom. Powered by a Honda B16 turbo (we also have a B20Z in the parts bin if we decide to go 2.0 vtec)

Motors were free (I donated), and so far he's got about $5,000 into the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom