Can’t tighten A/C belt enough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The manual says 150ft/lbs, but I can’t get it over 50ft/lbs. I don’t have the screw drive tightening mechanism like I do on my air pump, so I’m unsure how to leverage the kind of torque I need to on the A/C to get it to that level of tightness. Any suggestions?

Do you have a fj60 or fj62? because the 62's have a idler pulley that you can tighten.

One trick i have used on my other cars is attach a strap to the pulley and use the hood or a 2x4 as a lever to pull the pulley up. Then have someone tighten it down the bolt so it locks in place. hope that helps.

You're reading the manual wrong.
Nothing on the cruiser is tightened to 150ft/lbs.
The belt should deflect about an inch when applying firm pressure with your finger to the middle of the mounted belt. It's just a belt.
Once you get it on & you think it feels right, start the engine & turn on the AC. The belt should track nicely in the pully. If it looks like it's jumping too much in the middle, tighten it up a teensie weensie bit

You're reading the manual wrong.
Nothing on the cruiser is tightened to 150ft/lbs.
The belt should deflect about an inch when applying firm pressure with your finger to the middle of the mounted belt. It's just a belt.
Once you get it on & you think it feels right, start the engine & turn on the AC. The belt should track nicely in the pully. If it looks like it's jumping too much in the middle, tighten it up a teensie weensie bit

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 8.55.42 AM.png

Also, I'm reasonably sure the crank bolt is probably tightened to more than 150 lb/ft.

One trick i have used on my other cars is attach a strap to the pulley and use the hood or a 2x4 as a lever to pull the pulley up. Then have someone tighten it down the bolt so it locks in place. hope that helps.

Ah, this is a great idea -- don't know why I didn't consider it, I've used a ratchet strap for so many other mechanical conundrums before!

Ah, this is a great idea -- don't know why I didn't consider it, I've used a ratchet strap for so many other mechanical conundrums before!
Yeah just be careful i have a spots on the hood where the ratchet hook bent out the metal. Though im sure someone is going to come along and say thats the wrong way to do it, which i know it is but it does work so.

Yeah just be careful i have a spots on the hood where the ratchet hook bent out the metal. Though im sure someone is going to come along and say thats the wrong way to do it, which i know it is but it does work so.

If I reinforce the hook point with a piece of scrap steel I should be fine. I have some L beam laying around.

Should work, ive also found it your alone you can use your back to force the hood up so your hands are free to tighten the bolt

You actually have a belt tension gauge? You said 150 ft/lbs. the manual says pounds. Different measurements.

And is your truck a Canadian model? If so, use the gauge. If not, use the deflection table.

Reactions: OSS
The manual's instructions for tensioning the belt are as follows:

Apply 22 lbs of force to the middle of the belt when it's installed and measure the deflection. On a 3F, the AC belt deflection should be 12 to 15 mm.

The recommendation for Canada cruisers is to use a Borroughs belt tension gauge instead. This is a special spring loaded contraption that clamps between the belt to measure tightness. When using the Borroughs gauge THAT PARTICULAR GAUGE should read 125 lbs (not ft-lbs). That number (125 lbs) is only relevant to that gauge. It doesn't equate to anything else.

(The 2F crank nut spec is 116-144 ft-lbs. The 3FE nut is higher)

The manual's instructions for tensioning the belt are as follows:

Apply 22 lbs of force to the middle of the belt when it's installed and measure the deflection. On a 3F, the AC belt deflection should be 12 to 15 mm.

The recommendation for Canada cruisers is to use a Borroughs belt tension gauge instead. This is a special spring loaded contraption that clamps between the belt to measure tightness. When using the Borroughs gauge THAT PARTICULAR GAUGE should read 125 lbs (not ft-lbs). That number (125 lbs) is only relevant to that gauge. It doesn't equate to anything else.

(The 2F crank nut spec is 116-144 ft-lbs. The 3FE nut is higher)
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom