Can't stand the Ironman lift anymore, advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can install new OEM shocks for cheap, and they're smooth. You can crank down the ironman torsion bars to stock height if you're not running oversized tires. I'm sure you can find OEM used rear coil springs for cheap from a member to return the rear to stock height, since so many people are installing aftermarket. I think you could accomplish that for a few hundred bucks, or less if you can get the used coils for free. I ended up junking my old ones because no one wanted them.
Ok awesome, so many questions. Would the oem shocks work with the springs from the lift kit? I’m running 275/75/16 that’s we it had on it when I got it.

Ok, so used oem springs, new oem shocks, crank down the torsion bars.

Or find someone stock who wants to spend a day swapping suspension to upgrade theirs in the middle Tennessee area.

Ok awesome, so many questions. Would the oem shocks work with the springs from the lift kit? I’m running 275/75/16 that’s we it had on it when I got it.

Or find someone stock who wants to spend a day swapping suspension to upgrade theirs in the middle Tennessee area.
Yeah, your last statement is a good idea. The OEM shocks will work with the ironman springs I'm pretty sure, but will still be a little tall and probably harsher than the stock springs. I'm not sure of the extended length on the OEM shocks versus ironman, but you can look up that info online or someone will chime in.

Assuming that we’re talking about a U.S. market 100 series (2UZ-FE), I believe that the Ironman torsion bars are going to be ~32mm in diameter, which I found to be rather abusive on a mostly stock vehicle. With the thick torsion bars, my mostly stock vehicle seemed to have little travel in the front suspension.

It’s been my experience that on a relatively stock 100 series, that I much prefer the thinner OE, or OME torsion bars.

I’ll go against the flow, and suggest trying to find some stock take-off (non-AHC) torsion bars as the first step, considering that it sounds like your main complaint is about the front.

Assuming that we’re talking about a U.S. market 100 series (2UZ-FE), I believe that the Ironman torsion bars are going to be ~32mm in diameter, which I found to be rather abusive on a mostly stock vehicle. With the thick torsion bars, my mostly stock vehicle seemed to have little travel in the front suspension.

It’s been my experience that on a relatively stock 100 series, that I much prefer the thinner OE, or OME torsion bars.

I’ll go against the flow, and suggest trying to find some stock take-off (non-AHC) torsion bars as the first step, considering that it sounds like your main complaint is about the front.
That's solid advice! I was trying to think of the easiest and cheapest route to unharsh his ride, but I do agree that the higher spring rate of the thicker TBs is going to be more harsh. Cranking them down to stock height and putting on new OEM shocks will help a lot though I think, and be cheap and easy. As the OP says, if he can find someone in TN who wants to upgrade from stock to the Ironman setup than it would be the best case scenario!

That's solid advice! I was trying to think of the easiest and cheapest route to unharsh his ride, but I do agree that the higher spring rate of the thicker TBs is going to be more harsh. Cranking them down to stock height and putting on new OEM shocks will help a lot though I think, and be cheap and easy. As the OP says, if he can find someone in TN who wants to upgrade from stock to the Ironman setup than it would be the best case scenario!
Thanks guys I’ll get started on this and post up some videos of the new ride and when I get it sorted

Your problem is the springs amd not the shocks.

You need to go to oem spec springs.

Which ironman shocks have you got? Of its the fcp id leave them in at first and test with oem springs. The oem shocks are too soft imo and wallow a bit.

I run my car w fcp and oem spec springs

Your problem is the springs amd not the shocks.

You need to go to oem spec springs.

Which ironman shocks have you got? Of its the fcp id leave them in at first and test with oem springs. The oem shocks are too soft imo and wallow a bit.

I run my car w fcp and oem spec springs
Does anyone make an oem spec spring rate lifted spring for this kit?

Yeah, your last statement is a good idea. The OEM shocks will work with the ironman springs I'm pretty sure, but will still be a little tall and probably harsher than the stock springs. I'm not sure of the extended length on the OEM shocks versus ironman, but you can look up that info online or someone will chime in.
I'm running new OEM shocks all the way around with Ironman Toyo13B medium springs and 285/75/16 tires. Granted, I haven't been in another LC/LX, I love the way my truck rides. Some of the really harsh bumps can be kind of jarring but other then that its great. I do have a full homebuilt drawer system full of tools and gear and a rear bumper with a swingout on order, which is why i went ahead and replaced my sagging OEM springs with the ironman's. There is quite a bit of rake right now, but hopefully the bumper will help settle that and some of the harsher bumps.

Does anyone make an oem spec spring rate lifted spring for this kit?
If you have the FCP the front should be adjustable.

Ironmans "A" spec spring should be ok, and Dobinsons have a host of springs at different lengths and spring rates.

If you have the FCP the front should be adjustable.
The spring rate on a torsion bar is not adjustable. The adjustability is in static height, but not rate.

The only time spring rate is adjustable is in a progressively wound spring in a coil-over application. Linear coil-over springs are not affected by preload.

Reactions: jLB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom