Can’t shift into gear without headlights on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the fuse that controls my dash lights, tail lights etc. was blowing. I traced it back to rusty wiring harnesses on the taillights. I replaced both with OEM wiring harnesses. No more fuse blowing. Now I can’t shift out of park without the headlights on. Not a big deal but just wondering what’s up? Thanks in advance

I'd check and see if your brake lights work. If your brake lights do not work then it will not release the shift lock mechanism. Obviously you have to press the brake pedal to shift out of park but I guess the system is looking for a connection to the brake lights themselves to release the shift lock. I know this isn't totally the answer to your question but it should get you started.

Maybe try seeing if it will allow you to shift with just your running lights on instead of the headlights as well.

If your brake lights do not work then it will not release the shift lock mechanism.

I did not know this. Is there a way to get it to shift if the brake lights are out? I don't want to get stranded somewhere because my brake lights quit working 😆

There is a slot above the shifter. Remove the cap and stick a screwdriver down to unlock. This is how you can also shift out of Park if you have a dead battery.
The JDM cruisers have an actual push button.

the fuse that controls my dash lights, tail lights etc. was blowing. I traced it back to rusty wiring harnesses on the taillights. I replaced both with OEM wiring harnesses. No more fuse blowing. Now I can’t shift out of park without the headlights on. Not a big deal but just wondering what’s up? Thanks in advance
This is a problem you really need the EWD to solve. Here's the shift lock circuit:
1681560884887.png

The shift lock solenoid is connected to the stop light switch, and then to the stop light fuse. It is not directly connected to the headlight circuit. FWIW, the "E" terminal at the lower right is a ground.

There is, however, a common joining connector, "J7", shared by the headlight combination switch and the shift lock circuit:
1681561619169.png

1681561682568.png

1681562361920.png

1681561759707.png

Last edited:
and both share a common ground at "ID":
View attachment 3298774

If you have a ground fault at or near "ID" that could be the cause of your fuse failure, and could be related to the shift lock malfunction. IIRC, ground point "ID" is at the lower left corner of the dash support panel (the removable sheet metal panel behind the lower dash). I've noticed mine have always been susceptible to corrosion (no idea why), so when I remove the dash for any reason, I make a point to clean and grease that ground point.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's the first place I'd look. Odd electrical malfunctions, when not obviously switch related, are often the result of bad grounds. This is assuming that you don't have any modified electrical circuits. If you do, your kind of on your own to figure them out.

I'd highly recommend you download the FSM, with the EWD (it's in the Resources section), and at least familiarize yourself with it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve been messing around in that “ID” area so that’s a good place to start. I carried around a screw driver for weeks before I figured out the headlight trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom