Can't shift into 4 Low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hav had my 02 LC for about two months now and just tried a week ago to shift into 4 Low. It isn't budging at all. I've done everything the manual says to do but it just won't move. I had read on another post that there is possibly corrosion causing the problem. I don't think it's anything mechanical with the transfer case, but wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Yes some rust on undercarriage. I've pulled on it pretty hard, I just don't want to break anything.

Tranny in neutral?

If the shifter isn't used regularly it has a tendency to corrode shut. I'm pretty certain this is your problem. You could possibly heat it up to get it loose again, but this will most likely ruin the rubber seals. PB blaster won't work either because of the depth of the rod. I had the shifter out of the car and still had difficulty moving it even with a hammer. Remove the center lower console and cup holder. Screw the transfer case knob off, and you can get a better look from top to see if this is your problem. Lever Part #36360-60640, Retainer Part #36344-60080
Transfer Lever & Shift Rod 2.jpg

The only time I tried was in park. Just now put tranny in neutral and pulled the heck out of it and it went into Low. Thanks guys!!!:clap:

Awesome! Shift it regularly so my previous post doesn't happen to you.

how hard is it to get the shifter off, do you have to pull tray to get to it or is it accessible from the top, mine to is frozen, extremely hard to move it

bummer, thanks

bummer, thanks

It's not that bad. I had pretty good results spraying penetrating oil on what's accessible and exercising the lever a bit.

Did what was in that linked thread as preventative maintenance, plus I regularly exercise the transfer case and differential locks!

Exercise, it's not only good for you, it's good for your truck too.

Transfer case and diff lock(s) once a month.

When I first bought my truck, it could barely shift into 4-high, likely due to the corrosion described above. Then it was stuck, and no amount of pulling either up or back fixed it.

The shift lever in my 105 is slightly different than the diagram above. The lever is offset to the left, due to the steering wheel being on the right, so I can't pull directly up on the lever to lift the lateral pin to clear the gate that keeps the transfer case in 2 or 4 high. See the photo below.

Nevertheless, after a complete fluid change (both diffs, transmission, and transfer case, all replaced with synthetic), I uncovered the top of the lever assembly, oiled it, and worked it a few times with a screwdriver/lever. Now all gears are smooth, and it just takes a bit of pulling up to clear the gate to access neutral and 4-Low.

Thanks Forum!

Transfer Lever Crop1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom