Can't reach u-joint zerks and can't remove driveshaft... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So someone had suggested I use a 90 degree zerk fitting and/or needle zerk but I still cannot reach both u-joint zerks on the rear driveshaft... and then when I try to remove the driveshaft I can't get a box end wrench over the nut nor a socket. There's just not enough space...

0809201603.jpg

Transfer case end, zerk is facing right into obstruction with no clearance whatsoever.

0809201604b.jpg

Diff end is also obstructed and cant get needle fitting nor 90 degree fitting on

0809201605c.jpg

0809201604a.jpg

Lastly, tried pulling driveshaft to access zerks and can't fit box end wrench over the nut...

How are you guys doing it?

0809201607a.jpg

Looks like your u-joints were replaced and installed incorrectly. The zerks should be pointed away from the flanges.

As far as getting tools on the nuts, you may need to get some different wrenches. I have a set of long wrenches from Harbor Freight that really helps. Also, while I usually use wrenches to remove them, I torque them on with a socket. I have to rotate the driveshaft a bit to where the joint opens.

You might try a 6 point wrench or provide some "encouragement" with a fewer hammer taps. Whoever botched the u-joints probably rounded the threads as well.

6 point socket with a wobble extension. If you don't have that available then an open end wrench to loosen the nuts and follow up with a socket. You may need to put the t-case in neutral and rotate the shaft so that you can access each nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom