can't push choke Knob in all the way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled my choke to far out and now I cant get it to go in all the way. I disconected it from the carb, I can pull it our farther but when I push it in it stays out about 1.5" or so and then stuck. If I push harder I will bend the choke rod, so what should I do?
Its on a 76 FJ40.

The only thing I did was try to pull it on the wire end with pliers and had no luck. Is their something in the firewall that can keep it from moving?

did you try it while pushing the pedal slightly? also, as mentioned, it's probably never been greased.

I had this issue with my choke cable and my fresh air vent cable. Cleaning and lubing made a big difference. For the choke cable I disconnected the one end at the carb, removed the dash knob and removed the whole thing from the truck. I found the choke cable runs inside a sleeve. I removed the cable from the sleeve and cleaned it up with PB Blaster, I then dropped a little bicycle chain oil on the cable, put it back in the sleeve. With the cable clean and lubed, I worked it back and forth through the sleeve to knock of any grit/grime that I could. Took the cable out, cleaned it once more, lubed it and then put it all back in the truck. Works smooth as silk now.

Here is what I was talking about, IF yours is like this.

It could be pulled out too far allowing the tensioner to block it from being pushed back in(tensioner not shown here)

3300714875_44c24dde8f_b.jpg

Tensioner.

3301545288_b6d3615d28_b.jpg

3300709975_280dc5a92d_b.jpg

maybe you can tell how the tensioner could get in the way of the rod
Good luck

Damn, Vitesse_6, that s*** be lookn' nasty! :eek:

Hi All:

Thanks "Ricardo!" Great post!!

Regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------
I had this issue with my choke cable and my fresh air vent cable. Cleaning and lubing made a big difference. For the choke cable I disconnected the one end at the carb, removed the dash knob and removed the whole thing from the truck. I found the choke cable runs inside a sleeve. I removed the cable from the sleeve and cleaned it up with PB Blaster, I then dropped a little bicycle chain oil on the cable, put it back in the sleeve. With the cable clean and lubed, I worked it back and forth through the sleeve to knock of any grit/grime that I could. Took the cable out, cleaned it once more, lubed it and then put it all back in the truck. Works smooth as silk now.

I'm thinking the housing casing has slipped out of the main body. Time for a new cable.:rolleyes:

I just had this happen in my '74, and it's the same setup at least that late. I was able to reach up under the dash and push the spring up with my finger while I pushed the choke knob back in with my other hand. I then did it again after I forgot to actually hook the choke back up and pulled it right back out again... That second photo above is exactly what I needed to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom