Can't Play Music or Charge Phone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I searched and couldn't find much.

I can't seem to find a way to charge my phone using the cigarette lighter. Does this point to a fault with the electrical system, or is it just one of the quirks of these ancient trucks that you can't use a regular "plug and play" adapter like any other vehicle from the modern era? I seem to remember someone saying this somewhere..

Also, my radio seems to be stuck on AM/FM mode and it won't let me change to Cassette or CD mode for me to try a bluetooth cassette adapter to play music. If anyone knows of a simple fix for this short of getting a new head unit I'd appreciate it.

Until now, I was telling myself this wasn't a big deal, but now the idea of not being able to fill my tires with a portable compressor, and/or running out of battery in the middle of nowhere is getting old.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1636819858487.png

Ok, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I searched and couldn't find much.

I can't seem to find a way to charge my phone using the cigarette lighter. Does this point to a fault with the electrical system, or is it just one of the quirks of these ancient trucks that you can't use a regular "plug and play" adapter like any other vehicle from the modern era? I seem to remember someone saying this somewhere..

Also, my radio seems to be stuck on AM/FM mode and it won't let me change to Cassette or CD mode for me to try a bluetooth cassette adapter to play music. If anyone knows of a simple fix for this short of getting a new head unit I'd appreciate it.

Until now, I was telling myself this wasn't a big deal, but now the idea of not being able to fill my tires with a portable compressor, and/or running out of battery in the middle of nowhere is getting old.

View attachment 2837921
Re: lighter socket, you could check voltage with a VOM or test light, or go straight to the fuse box assuming it is blown.

Re: stereo, time to wave bye bye and update/upgrade. They are so cheap and good it's a no brainer.

Re: lighter socket, you could check voltage with a VOM or test light, or go straight to the fuse box assuming it is blown.

Re: stereo, time to wave bye bye and update/upgrade. They are so cheap and good it's a no brainer
Ok, I'm seeing now that the most common culprit is a fusible link at the back of the cig lighter. I'll try the fuse first then look into that. And yea I may as well upgrade the head unit as my speakers are shot anyway. I do like to keep the stock look if possible though.

Can't speak to the radio issue (never had one lol)
But does your dome light work? I believe that is the fuse the lighter is on. There's actually alot of thing on that circuit, so you'd be missing a few features if the dome fuse was popped. Radio included I believe.

Recommend direct battery connection for air compressor - squeezie, spring-type clamp.

But does your dome light work? I believe that is the fuse the lighter is on. There's actually alot of thing on that circuit, so you'd be missing a few features if the dome fuse was popped. Radio included I believe.

Recommend direct battery connection for air compressor - squeezie, spring-type clamp.
Yea as far as I can tell the only things not working are the cig lighter, CD/Tape buttons, and antenna controls. Also the rear doors sometimes don't lock or unlock, but all the interior lights work fine.

Do you recommend a certain product for the compressor? All the ones I've seen have the cig lighter connection.

Do you recommend a certain product for the compressor? All the ones I've seen have the cig lighter connection.
You could just get the clamps, cut off the cig adapter and attach the clamps to the wire.
But what size tires you running and do you intend to go larger in the near future?

I have 285/75/16 Cooper ATs and don’t really plan to go bigger anytime soon
Oof. Ok, no pump on a cig lighter is worth your time on those.
Def direct batt connect and you're looking for highest cfm output possible within the $$$ you want to spend.
Viair and ARB prob have the better selection of options.

I was going to recommend this because, 1) Started with it (and still have it) and 2) about the least expensive unit I could find at the time - tho it was less than half the current price 2 years ago.
Amazon product ASIN B07X3QC5DG
It has good flow, as the name suggests. The price tho...puts in the same ballpark as the Viairs and ARBs.
Will say I've seen alot of complaints about the dual pump ARBs wearing out their compression rings in 12mos. No indication tho of the work cycle those units have seen and that would make all the diff.

If you have DeWalt tools, their 20v compressor is pretty decent.

I like my MasterFlow MF-1050. It probably wouldn't do for regular airing down, but I've fixed a few flats reasonably quickly with it. Certainly better than any cigarette lighter inflator. Paid $48 on Amazon.
Why wouldn't it work for airing up tires? That's probably what I'd use it for if I can ever get my Cruiser up to snuff for off roading.

Fusible link was my first thought on the cigarette lighter. Radio, get a new one for $100 and call it a day. There are two wiring harnesses in the dash, one feeds the amplifier/speakers and the other feeds just the speakers if I remember correctly. Search and hook up Correctly.

Why wouldn't it work for airing up tires? That's probably what I'd use it for if I can ever get my Cruiser up to snuff for off roading.
It would work, but it's not like a belt-drive York or a 12V ExtremeAire (~$500). It's inexpensive and surely has a comparatively low duty cycle. Guessing from vague memory, it probably took maybe five minutes to reinflate a completely deflated 275/70-16 P-metric tire to 33ish PSI. If you're regularly airing up 35 inch light truck tires to 45+ PSI for the road, don't expect it to have a long life, much like anything near its price-point. It's also Chinese made and (I think) uses weird metric threaded fittings, so you couldn't readily adapt it for a full on-board air system using a receiver/tank, pressure switch, and unloader valve.

Just have appropriate expectations. If you want high-volume, reliable air from a system that can be serviced, it's going to cost you.

Cigarette lighter is off the 15 amp CIG fuse in the fuse box by the driver's left knee.
It also powers part of the radio, so that could be your issue.

Check the simple things first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom