cant get to hub nut on rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i took the drum off and now i cant get this dust cover or whatever off to get to the bearings on a rear axle. is there something im missing? the piece that goes over the studs.
seems like it should be much easier

are you supposed to screw bolts through those holes to pry it off? anybody know what size they are?

How about a picture?

i feel like a knob. cant get passed here. trying to get that third out. the front axle was easy to do. just cant figure this out for some reason
2010-04-28 16.49.51.jpg

Hmmmm....maybe take the C clip off of the other end of the axle?

theres a c clip? im not used to this set up

Drain the gear oil from the differential/axle assembly.

Remove the rear cover.

Remove the spider gear pinion cross shaft retianing bolt, remove the pinion, thrust block and spider gears, tap the axle shafts inboard just a bit and the c-clip should fall off the axle shaft. You can then pull the axle shaft out of the axle housing.

There are pictures of this in the FSM of this process.

:beer:

thank you both. isnt undoing all that going to mess with the backlash etc.? cant get my fsm to load on my comp. problem with the file

No none of those parts have anything to do with setting up a gear pattern...

Take the cover off...you will see what is going on.

your in for a treat.

hehehe

get lots of paper towels

got it. you guys are rad:banana: :beer::cheers:

Its no biggie...as indicated above, remove pumpkin (get new gasket) and you can easily see what is described above. Very easy. If you have a FSM it would be illustrated.

Why do you need to get to the bearings? :hmm:

I hate the smell of gear oil....

Why do you need to get to the bearings? :hmm:
didnt. juat had no idea HOW easy the rear was.

another question..

im swapping the companion flanges from my sixty thirds to these thirds from the forty. do i need to get new spacers and shims (assuming since the thirds are from a 74) to set the preload or can i just use the same ones and just set the torque right?

The flange is not a measured component like the shims are.

Swap the flange, red locktite, torque the nut, stake the nut and call it good.

so awesome! thanks again. couldn't have done it without y'all.:cool:

ok so new problem. i just went to swap the flanges and it wont work. the ones off the 74 have a much bigger tooth then the ones of my 60! is there a fix for this or some other flange i can get or am i just screwed. and even if i fix this is are the splines on the axle going to work?

ok so new problem. i just went to swap the flanges and it wont work. the ones off the 74 have a much bigger tooth then the ones of my 60! is there a fix for this or some other flange i can get or am i just screwed. and even if i fix this is are the splines on the axle going to work?

Yes, you can get fine spline flanges for the differential that will match your 60 series drive shaft.

What year is your 60 series?

The axle side gears in the differentials should be fine...

thanks poser. its an 85. early i think with the smaller idler in the tcase. i just saw them on kurts page but im going to have to wait for him to get back from moab i guess. thanks for the info on the axles i was kind of worried for a sec on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom