Can't get to 4L (1 Viewer)

I have an 88 FJ62 w/ 220k and last weekend I tried to shift the t-case from 2H to 4L and it wouldn't go int gear at all. There hasn't been any noises coming from the t-case and all other parts look good (no binding on the shifter, etc) Before I go dropping the case is thewre anything else I can check? Thanks

don'tcha have to be in 4High, via the green button, before you shift into neutral and use the diff lock shifter to get into 4L?

I had the same problem with my 88. I rebuilt the trans. case and it still would not shift into low. It felt as if the L4 lever would not pull all the way down like it should. I replaced the L4 position switch as described on page TF-32 of the toyota Repair manual. It was a PITA trying to get the correct part, I could not find it in the SOR catalog, so I ended up going to the local delarship. After ordering a couple of wrong switches I got the right one, and it solved the problem. Hope that helps. :beer:

Maybe check the vacume operated seliniod on the transfer case. Are you sure the wheels are engaged when it is in 4 wheel high or is the light just on?

I had some problems with the Push button deal caused by the vacume deal.

Pretty scattered line of thought..sorry

HD

Yeah, I changed the solenoid about 2 years ago. I'm going to have to hunt around a little more,try a few more things.

This might help ...

had a similar problem a while ago and had the mechanic take a look at it but nothing seemed to work.... till I read a thread on H8mud about the bracket & rubber "cup" just beneath the shifter that prevented 4L from engaging.
Solution was very simple and consisted of unscrewing the upper cup to reveal the one beneath it.
mine had a lot of grime and mud, so i cleaned it and now its working perfectly.
(plus having a look down there lets you understand how the gears engage)

Cost = 0$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom