Can't get the Trans back in. Pilot bearing? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can not get the trans fully back in. When trying to re-install it there are no problems with the splines etc but it looks like the shaft will just not go into the pilot bearing. Bilot bearing is new and I believe I installed it perfecty. Also the plastic alignment tool easily slides in.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do here?!?!!?!?

Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Did you test fit the pilot bearing on the shaft before assy? That's always a good idea. It's also a good idea to make sure the tip of the input shaft is clean and free of burrs or other irregularities.

They're always a little tough to line up. You need to lift the rear of the transmission a little and work it around until it drops into place.

Just have someone step on the clutch pedal to release the grip on the clutch disk and it will slide right in. The plastic alignment tools aren't all that good at getting things aligned.

Did you test fit the pilot bearing on the shaft before assy? That's always a good idea. It's also a good idea to make sure the tip of the input shaft is clean and free of burrs or other irregularities.

They're always a little tough to line up. You need to lift the rear of the transmission a little and work it around until it drops into place.

I did not test fit the pilot bearing first. :doh::censor::doh: I know now I should have......

I think I will make sure to clean up the input shaft and see if that helps at all.

Just have someone step on the clutch pedal to release the grip on the clutch disk and it will slide right in. The plastic alignment tools aren't all that good at getting things aligned.

Tried that....didn't work.
:doh:

I'll second the comment that you need to make sure the pilot bearing is a slip fit. Once I rushed and did not check this step, and the pilot bearing became fused to the input shaft (and the trans had to come out due to whatever we overlooked). It took about 5 hours to get the bellhousing and trans out in one piece.

Have you tried turning the engine and see if it slips in,maybe the splines are just not lining up. The same thing happens with front axels sometimes you cant get it in but if you turn the other side it will slip right in. If you have the shaft to the pilot then my idea might not be so good. Try it just for the hell of it and let us know that happens.

I'll second the comment that you need to make sure the pilot bearing is a slip fit. Once I rushed and did not check this step, and the pilot bearing became fused to the input shaft (and the trans had to come out due to whatever we overlooked). It took about 5 hours to get the bellhousing and trans out in one piece.

Ouch, you suggesting I remove the pilot bearing to test it?:censor:

Have you tried turning the engine and see if it slips in,maybe the splines are just not lining up. The same thing happens with front axels sometimes you cant get it in but if you turn the other side it will slip right in. If you have the shaft to the pilot then my idea might not be so good. Try it just for the hell of it and let us know that happens.

Yep, the splines are good (turning the output on the transfer). Slides right it untill it hits the Pilot (about an inch left).

I had to have someone jiggle the hand crank nut a little while I wiggled the trans to get mine lined up.

You may have to remove the pilot bearing and try the fit or you can get another pilot bearing and try the fit this way you wont have to remove at least the clutch. Or you may have to remove it all,which should not take that long if someone is helping you. We are all just guessing at what might be wrong as we are not there. I am just letting you know what has happened to me one time. For all we know you may have the pilot bearing at a slight angle. Just keep trying which may lead you to removing it all anyway. I hope something works for you,good luck

trans install

Get some longer bolts to assist with this sliding in, slowly tighten the bolts as you wiggle the trans a bit. a small amount of effort should be all thats required to help slide it in. This is assuming your original bolts are to short to assist with this. After trans is in swap longer bolts for original. Steve

Get some longer bolts to assist with this sliding in, slowly tighten the bolts as you wiggle the trans a bit. a small amount of effort should be all thats required to help slide it in. This is assuming your original bolts are to short to assist with this. After trans is in swap longer bolts for original. Steve

What he said..... sorta

Grind the head off two bolts. (these are 60 ps box bolts)

Use them a dowels in the bh.

This makes it easy to get it aligned.

As others said, you may need to pull the pilot bearing.
DSC08977.JPG

Last edited:

Actually I like this idea the best,I wish I would of thought of that. I am no mechanic but I have removed and stripped at least 8 complete lancruisers in my time,but removing is always easier then installing.

If you didn't have any trouble pulling the tranny, then chances are that the nose of the input shaft is fine. I have only encountered problems when the inner race was friction welded to the shaft. When it comes to wiggling the nose of the tranny in, you have to have it straight on or it won't go. The alignment dowels will help with this, although you can eyeball it by looking at the faces of the tranny and bellhousing and making sure they look parallel.

Ouch, you suggesting I remove the pilot bearing to test it?

That is what I would tell you to do.

If you did not test fit the pilot bearing to the input shaft, then it is very likely the issue as to why you cannot get the transmission to slide home.

Now is your opportunity to remove it and make sure it fits properly.

You can search broken flywheel housing or broken bell housing out here and see pictures of these that are broken because people thought they could draw up a transmission to the flywheel housing with bolts.

:meh:

That is what I would tell you to do.

If you did not test fit the pilot bearing to the input shaft, then it is very likely the issue as to why you cannot get the transmission to slide home.

Now is your opportunity to remove it and make sure it fits properly.

You can search broken flywheel housing or broken bell housing out here and see pictures of these that are broken because people thought they could draw up a transmission to the flywheel housing with bolts.

Excellent point, thanks cause I would not want to be the one to blame. We are all just trying to give him some ideas and to let him in on what we have experienced. The bolt idea sounded good to me though,I guess you have proof otherwise.

1- SKIP the bolt idea

Excellent point, thanks cause I would not want to be the one to blame. We are all just trying to give him some ideas and to let him in on what we have experienced. The bolt idea sounded good to me though,I guess you have proof otherwise.

1- SKIP the bolt idea

Dead trucks have been hauled to my shop and I have replaced both the three-speed and four-speed style flywheel housings on these customer trucks because they had broken the flywheel housing trying to use this very method.

If the transmission is not correctly lined up and longer bolts are used to force/draw the transmission into place, and the input is bound on the pilot bearing or clutch disc somehow, the flywheel housing can distort and fracture.

Dead trucks have been hauled to my shop and I have replaced both the three-speed and four-speed style flywheel housings on these customer trucks because they had broken the flywheel housing trying to use this very method.

If the transmission is not correctly lined up and longer bolts are used to force/draw the transmission into place, and the input is bound on the pilot bearing or clutch disc somehow, the flywheel housing can distort and fracture.

I just hope the guy is not outside now with big bolts and broken bellhousings and such. Thank you for the help on this,as I will be putting in a 5speed into my troopie in the next couple of weeks and really thought about using the bolt trick if I have any problems.

James

tThe easy thing to try is just wiggling it and see if it slides right in. It is highly likely that an input shaft that slid right out of a good pilot bearing is going to slide right in to a new pilot bearing. If you don't have much experience stabbing trannys, then getting the tranny lined up right is going to take a little more effort.

Another thing to try is loosing up the pressure plate bolts so that the disk can move a little easier. The plastic alignment tools are EZ to screw up if you are not holding it in when you tighten the PP bolts. Gravity will make the disk slip down.

If after trying a little more wiggling, it still won't go, then it is time to see if there is a problem with the nose of the shaft.

That is my 2.5 cents.

Well if wiggling doese'nt work get out the BIG fxxxen hammer and get out your frustration on the trannyand clutch plates, just a litttle humor,I know your gonna need it right about now. Put seriously dont give up. Please don't give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom