can't get my engine back in (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i can't get my motor to go the last inch and a half. the rear motor mount is broken on the drivers side.figured
i'd replace that after the motor is back in, to stabilize the trans. I'm thinking i'll try removing the front motor mounts to give me more wiggle room. any tricks or input about getting it the rest of the way in ?i.m so close. mark:cheers:

The input shaft on the transmission might not be engaging the pilot bearing, that would keep it from seating fully. You need to make sure the crank centerline and the input shaft are aligned.

Ah, that last angry inch again...BTDT. I got some real long bolts, same thread as the stockers, and used those to pull the tranny to the block...also turn the crank a little, adjust angles a little, get more jacks, lie down on your back and try the leg-press...
This is about the hardest thing to do on a 'Cruiser, mating the engine & tranny.
EVERYBODY has trouble here, it NEVER goes smoothly. Just one of those things...

this is not supposed to be funny...cuttinf torch. i'v done 5 f engines, and 6 crank bearing pulls, even though not on the scale of your rig (assume pic fj60), and i have found several objects that just get in the way no matter what, I find a way to ELIMINATE them, I wouldnt call my vehicle looks stock either. when i need hole, it gets cut. also, have you tried lifting the body after you have the engine in place, this changes the angle enough at times to let the engine through, best part is the lower weight in the body with the engine supported by lift. I also use chains only on the moters, and then mechanical on teh frames/body. get er done.:cheers:

something that has always helped me is to find some long metric bolts or threaded rod to go into the bellhousing/engine block to help guide the engine or clutch on the input shaft of the trans. A rachet strap might come in handy to pull the engine to the trans. Take the motor mounts off for sure, definatly need the extra room. Leave them on and you could screw up the threads. ask me how i know. make sure the angle of the trans matches the engines, otherwise you'll be fighting it for eternity. I am assuming you lined the clutch up with something (plastic tool or spare input shaft) before tightening the pressure plate bolts, this too would hold the engine up. good luck:beer:

just be careful when pulling the trans to bellhousing with bolts, search for "heartworms" thread about this

as others have said, angles, change them abit and rotate.

also helps, if it's not going and your getting frustrated, STEP AWAY, have lunch, a soda, come back to it with a new aproach and she'll slip right together.
That is as long as your sure the pilot bearing fits on the input shaft of the trans?? maybe a little polish on the shaft to help.

it rained all day today.tomorrow i'm thinking i'll get those two front mounts out of the way and i'll getthe angle i need to get into the pilot bearing.

Are you using a load leveler?

Is front end disassembled? The long piece that holds the headlight surrounds and that the radiator bolts to needs to come off. I had trouble getting the engine in with that removed.

Alright man. Just keep working on it. You'll get it!

just be careful when pulling the trans to bellhousing with bolts, search for "heartworms" thread about this

as others have said, angles, change them abit and rotate.

also helps, if it's not going and your getting frustrated, STEP AWAY, have lunch, a soda, come back to it with a new aproach and she'll slip right together.
That is as long as your sure the pilot bearing fits on the input shaft of the trans?? maybe a little polish on the shaft to help.

2X on careful but I have done it that way and not had problems, however when you hear that loud crack and look at a new bellhousing etc. then you know it was not the right thing to do. Wiggle more than turn the bolts :p

after things were visually in line with the trans shaft, slowly turn the crank pulley so the splines line up. i used a rock bar for leverage on the front pushing while another guy did the wiggling on the back.

this was by far THE toughest part of the rebuild. i don't see how it is possible to do by yourself. you should have some help. good luck.

It helps immensely to get under the rig and take a good look at the angles of the bellhousing and the trans. Any variance will bind it up. Get a jack under the rear of the T-case to help manipulate that angle. Once the two planes are parallel, you will get it in without too much fuss. Do be carefull with the bolts, it is possible to break the ears off the trans or crack the bellhousing although they are cast iron and pretty sturdy.

I took a few days off from the motor.i went at it this morning fine tuned it and she slipped right in.no help from anyone and me with a broken foot. I WIN!! won't be long till we hear the rebuild purring. Mark

I took a few days off from the motor.i went at it this morning fine tuned it and she slipped right in.no help from anyone and me with a broken foot. I WIN!! won't be long till we hear the rebuild purring. Mark

I can't believe you openly mocked the cruiser gods like this!:whoops:

You need to pour out one case of 10w30 as a libation, and offer up a set of unbroken birfs to make atonement!!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom