Cant get glow plug out.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
Replacing plugs today on the 2h, pulled out 5 no problem, but one {theres always one} wont come out w/ reasonable force even though Im past the threaded part. It almost feels like the tip is bent enough to keep it from sliding out. is that what they do when there old? I left it in for fear of breaking something or messing up threads.

Thanks, Joey ''snaps''

You may have a melted end on it I have seen were the wrong voltage plugs were used and the ends of the GP was swollen and cracked and also seen them with a mushroomed end and melted... I have had some that were slighty bent and were tight getting out but did come out with a little force.

Might have a big hunk of carbon on it. I cant see how it would bend if it is the proper length plug

Both of these guys have given you the most common causes of this. Try a little upwards pull as you turn the glow plug.

~John

Thanks guys, sounds like a pair a vice grips and some elbow grease are in order!!

Might have a big hunk of carbon on it. I cant see how it would bend if it is the proper length plug

The droop factor probably from excess heat or just faulty manufacturing ( not bent like a banana just off center aligned).

super easy, the glow plug is past the thread part and loose but not coming out.
stand back,
reach inside the truck
turn key and crank the engine a rev or two.
done.
STAND BACK while doing this.

works very well.

If you do what Crusher says catch it on video I would like to see that in action.

it is even more impressive in person.

i really wouldn't stand right in front of the glow plugs travel vector or you might end up with a chunk of metal between the eyes... you could throw a heavy blanket (or something) over the glow plug to "catch" it.

seriously, it works.

it is even more impressive in person.

i really wouldn't stand right in front of the glow plugs travel vector or you might end up with a chunk of metal between the eyes... you could throw a heavy blanket (or something) over the glow plug to "catch" it.

seriously, it works.

More than a blanket .. Plywood over top to make sure it wont chip or hole the body.. eye protection .

Some we just have a wire eyelet and a nut hold it so it wont pop out over a foot on a tied wired..

Play safe at this , I have seen the removal cyl fire and send a projectile .. PLAY SAFE

I am so intrigued by this method I am thinking about removing the hood and loosening off all 4 plugs to see how high these suckers will fly.

it depends how much pressure is built up before the carbon lets go.
if it is just a snug fit then it will just pop out and fall close to the vehicle. if it is a tight fit then it might fly.

i would rotate the engine by hand the first time to see if it will pop it out. stick the truck in 5th gear and rock the truck back and forth by hand. there is a good chance it will just pop out and drop.
there is very little chance you will need to rotate the engine more than once.

All I was meaning was don't assume that it will always just pop out , It could fire out.
I once witnessed a cross-threaded spark plug fire out on start up . Lucky hood was open and it only hit the brick wall in the shop.. New plug and Tech were installed.

Trying to rotate by hand ?? NADA , even with a compression release , that is wishful thinking.
But they do have a hole for a hand crank on my 60 , problem is every time i go to use that wet hole it bleeds green ;) .. wonder what engine it was used for. 3B don't thing so.

Blanket and plywood just to make sure, Blanket is now fuel smelling , so make sure it's not special ;)

VT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom