can't find second gear in my three speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey hows it going im new to this site, but use it as a refrence all the time. i own 2 diffrent cruisers a fj60 and a 40. the 60 isnt running right now and im having trouble finding second gear in my 40. its a 1971 fj40 ive got through a friend it was sitting for about 6 years and ive been slowly been bring it back to life. it has the original three in the tree shifter. it had a lot of play in the collem whare the blinkers at. i tightend up the collem and took care of the play and now its hard to find second gear i looked under the hood and whare the pivit is for the shifter theirs a conneting bolt thats prity striped out and theirs another one on the bottem conneting the clutch arm to the gear thats strped to. i called around for that peice and its no longer on the planet. does anyboady know of someone that can fabricate that bolt and nut. or a junker i can get my hands on.
thanks.

I've got a floor shifter here if you want. I won't be reusing the 3 speed in the '67 FJ45LV so I don't need it. $40 and the ride and it's yours.

3 on the tree is retro cool. It is probably an issue with wear on the linkage and its adjustment. You can verify that the tranny is OK by manually shifting it into second at the tranny.

thanks i just got back from spraying underneath the truck and now i cant get it into second or revrse so on the way home i had to dive in first and therd. (i love cruisers) so now it seems any gear that has to do with shifting upwards is out of allignment. its going to rain here soon so im going to try to get under it and try to put in second manually. question dont i have to have someone pushing the cluth in at the saim time?

Ok i just got back and it seems their was an issue with the linkage right on to side of the transmission. the pin that bolts into the linkage has way to much slop for the arm to go in. so i got some lock washers unbolted the linkage sliped 2 lock washers in for a spacer and tightend it up then started tightening the rest of the nuts in the linkage, (witch all have to much slop no matter what you do) and then took on a test run. second and reverse are working but who knows how long it will last.i would love to keep my truck three in a tree but cant find the parts any more so reluctantly i found a conversion kit and it will be here in a week or so
thanks for all the infoand help
matt5783

matt5783 said:
.i would love to keep my truck three in a tree but cant find the parts any more so reluctantly i found a conversion kit and it will be here in a week or so
thanks for all the infoand help
matt5783

Well that was a half hearted attempt! My 3-on-the-tree was shifting horribly as well... I got in there and took it all out, cleaned it up, regreased the linkages and readjusted.

Shifts perfectly now. Think again before you cut your tranny hump. It is easy to do just make notes where everything goes when you take it apart. After everything is clean and back in place, leave everything loose while a bud slowly shifts into the gears. Stick your head in there and note how everything moves and adjust accordingly. If things got out of place, carefully bent them back into place.

Cutting a hump is a terrible thing to do.

I agree with Trekker. Column shifts are great. And floorshifts can get messed up for the same reasons. Your problem may have little or nothing to do with your column shifter/mechanisms right up to the transmission top.

I stole your second gear. ^^

ok after checking all the leakagees it seems that ill have to take it apart after all and clean it up so ill give it a try. what ive noticed is that when the stering collem was slopy the leankage pins got worn ive put 10,000 miles on it with the sloppy collem. the pins are so worn(on second and reverse ) that thers only a couple threads to put the nut on. even the nut itself was gouged from repeated shifting. so the new collem reallinged it all with all the play it uset to need to shift. ill proably have to make spacers for each pin. it dosent sound to fun. but ill see what i can do

Do post a picture. It'll help board viewers figure out what's going on. If you need parts, they are available from those who went to a floor shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom