Can't figure out where this spring from E-brake goes. Anchor spring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to service my emergency brake today because the right rear wheel wasn't holding. Well, after taking it all out, I find out there has been a spring popped loose, and one of my e-brake shoes has disintegrated. I looked at the FSM and have identified it as the anchor spring (see pic), but I can't figure out where it hooks to.

20190507_192922.jpg

When doing shoes/parking brakes, i usually have one side untouched for reference while i finish the other. I haven't opened mine up yet so i don't know what it looks like, but there's usually one at the bottom that holds the two shoes together. Open up the other side and compare.

I believe this is the spring labeled 'spring' in exploded view by 2001LC above (highlighted in photo below). It has no dashed lines and it is confusing where it goes. There is only one on each brake.

exploded_view.JPG

See 2001LC's photo below with spring highlighted.

parkingbrake.jpg

See at t=24:00 min:sec in this video:

Last edited:
Yup, thats the one. This is the second time this year that a spring has popped off. The first time was the little washer and spring that fits on top of the pin. Might be needing new e-brake hardwear but everything is buttoned up and I have emergency brakes on both rear wheels now.

If springs are popping off something is wrong. Most common is the shoe hold-down "pin(s)" are bent/damaged or shoe hold-down retainer "cup" is worn-out/damaged. This happens when brake rotor/drum is pulled off, without releasing the shoe "adjuster" first. If brake shoe get hung-up of e-brake drum. E-brake Drum pulls out the shoes, bending the "pin". In this case you must replace the "pins" and possible the retainer cup.

They give brake jobs to tech rather than seasoned mechanics' (hourly rate very different), that just don't know proper procedure nor do they bother reading the FSM.

Not releasing e-brake shoe before pulling brake drum is damaging. Simple cheap repair, but usually means waiting for Toyota parts for 1 to 3 days. So they assemble with damaged parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom