Wanted Can't afford a Toyota, so i'm looking for a Lexus. ISO LX570 2008-2012 $25k or below. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never thought i would hear myself say this, but lately i have been giving the LX570s a lot of thought because the LCs are priced about $5k more for the same years and similar mileage/condition. Maybe it's Lexus depreciating faster than Toyota, and maybe it's because there are a lot more LXs for sale than LCs. Normally it is the other way around, as in you look at Toyotas when you can't afford a Lexus. Personally i would rather rock the Toyota badge, but it is hard to turn down the pricing appeal of the LXs when comparing them to 200 series LCs.

Not only is the initial purchase price cheaper by a good amount, the fact that AHC eliminates most of the need for suspension upgrade/lift saves me even more money. If i get a LC, i am for sure upgrading the suspension. If i get an LX with AHC, i don't feel the need to do anything but upgrade the tires, at least for a while.

It's another plus that many of the LXs i have looked at looks like it has never been wheeled hard, like the kind of wheeling you'd expect out of an LC owner. I also like the versatility, as in i can put good tires on it and it will be quite capable stock and get me most places, but i can also have the height lowered so my grandpa and dog can get in more easily! Having my dog be able to get in and out easily is a big plus, as he will be with me quite often.

To me the LC is the car i want if i was the only person to ride in it, but the LX is the car i want if i wanted to make sure that my friends and family (including dog) can be comfortable with it as well.

With all that said, i am looking for a well-taken-care-of 2008-2012 LX570 (whichever years do not have the hourglass grills), or maybe a really good deal on a 200 series LC ;)? I am looking to keep it $25k or below, but will entertain anything close. I know it's a stretch but I am in no rush and really am trying to hold out for a good deal. Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

I will appreciate advice as well if anyone thinks i should really hold out longer and save money/look harder for an LC, as well as advice from anyone who thinks the LX makes more sense for someone like me. Has anyone gotten an LX and wished they had gone with an LC instead? Or vice versa? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here's one in Minnesota. I've emailed the guy, have not spoken to him in person or seen vehicle. He said, and Toyota records confirm, it's been a Portland car the vast majority of it's life.

Price finally went down $2K. A few dings inside, but seems like a decent price.

Hey Dangcat, hope you don't mind but I'm going to follow along to this. Your post hits spot on with me. I just sold my Raptor and looking to get into my first Toyota/Lexus. I've been looking local and the LC I've came across are more then I want to spend but mainly b/c they are 2014+. I like the look of both but the lux and AHC of the LX is super cool. I've even looked at the Sequoia and putting a lift on it. They are a lot cheaper and since I'm not going to offroad it too much, it would work. But I can find a 570 for only a couple grand more which makes sense to me.

Here's one in Minnesota. I've emailed the guy, have not spoken to him in person or seen vehicle. He said, and Toyota records confirm, it's been a Portland car the vast majority of it's life.

Price finally went down $2K. A few dings inside, but seems like a decent price.

That one is very interesting at first glance, and i will for sure look into it more this week. Thank you for the lead and I will keep you posted!

And @nwa300zx, really glad im not alone! I spent a lot of time thinking before accepting that until i have a lot more money than i do now, the LXs make more sense. With AHC you can do so much right from stock, like clearance for off roading and bigger tires, as well as auto leveling for heavy loads and towing. To get a 200 LC to match the AHC capabilities or surpass it from stock would take more than i am willing to afford at the moment.

If i ever spend that much money on a car, the kind to build a 200 LC, then i think i would go for a 70 series instead and build it as if i will keep it forever. Until the day comes when i can afford a 70 series troopy, the LX seems to be a perfect middle-of-the-road car for me.

And seriously if a LX570 is only a few grand more than a sequioa, then i would for sure hold out for the LX! I would much rather save up an extra month or two than look back for years!! Or maybe even decades seeing as how they run so long when properly maintained xD.

And the AHC, the more i look into it the more i like it. Even if you off roaded it a ton, it would still work. There are quite a few mud members who wheel their LXs pretty hard and they can give a testament to its reliability and capabilities off road. Remember this is still a land cruiser, just wearing a Lexus mask.

Here is an interesting post on AHC from someone who uses it to overland (post #14 in thread):

And here is an interesting thread:

Okay im done don't want this to turn into an AHC vs traditional lift thread lol.

Last edited:
@Dangcat, Those were good articles and can learn a lot off of those.

I was just showing the wife how a 2011 Sequoia Platinum and LX with the same miles is only $100 apart which is wild. Those are both from Dealers. I like the interior so much better. The Sequoia is just so outdated and it hurts them.

Doesn't look like the LC has the AHC. Is that a must with you?

No the AHC is not a must, but definitely a big plus when the vehicle it is attached to is a decent amount cheaper than one without AHC. If i can find a LC priced well enough to allow room for suspension upgrade to be as capable as the LX stock, then that would be pretty sweet. Because that's not realistic to expect a lifted LC for 25k range, the LX and AHC becomes almost the only choice left.

Only reason im even considering that LC is because it is definitely on the lower end in terms of price for LCs, but most likely i will go with an LX. If i get an LC i am going to want nothing but the best for it, and if i am putting the best on it, then i want an LC worthy of it. My gut tells me it is best to wait and that the LX, for a much cheaper price, will be more than enough for the next few years. When i find an LC worthy of King shocks and when i can afford to build an LC, i can always trade in the LX then.

Lemme know what you find out. I have the service history downloaded, but I think I was removed as the 'owner' of that vehicle from My Toyota. It was great history until 2016 or so, then the owner switched to a independent. You will probably want to call the indy shop to get records.

One thing I noticed, that was not mentioned in the Craigslist ad, was that the Toyota service history mentioned some sub work with a body shop. You will not see it in a PDF file. Only by logging into MyToyota, and clicking on each service appointment for more detailed commentary. A lot of detective work, but it sounds like you are game for that.

Same boat as you. There just aren't many 200 series LC out there compared to the LX and they are $5K higher so I am moving from a 100 series LC to a 200 series LX. I am looking at the 13+ though.

Lemme know what you find out. I have the service history downloaded, but I think I was removed as the 'owner' of that vehicle from My Toyota. It was great history until 2016 or so, then the owner switched to a independent. You will probably want to call the indy shop to get records.

One thing I noticed, that was not mentioned in the Craigslist ad, was that the Toyota service history mentioned some sub work with a body shop. You will not see it in a PDF file. Only by logging into MyToyota, and clicking on each service appointment for more detailed commentary. A lot of detective work, but it sounds like you are game for that.

Probably my fault that owner got changed lol, i was looking at it last night. I thought it was odd he said the indy shop changed the timing belt when this thing runs on a timing chain. I asked him about it, waiting to hear back about undercarriage photos and the indy shop info. I will ask about the body shop work i saw in the Toyota maintenance records as well.

@LonghornCruiser i suppose i should look at the changes on the 2013 and ups, i honestly have not even looked past the grill to take a closer look. Anything you can share as to why 2013 plus, besides lower miles and newer?

Last edited:
Mostly lower miles. The front fascia is a little different. Grill and fog lights mostly. I do like the 2013 fascia a little better myself. Interior seems pretty much the same on 200s up to 2015. Love the look of the 2016 LC, but just not in my price range.

I don't know if you are interested in bringing one down from Canada but there are often a handful for sale up here for 25% less than your budget.

I can't vouch for the 'well taken care of' requirement but 123,000 miles for an asking price of $16,600US is starting to get tempting for me. Our LX470 has twice the miles and has been treated like a rented mule and still impresses.

I don't know if you are interested in bringing one down from Canada but there are often a handful for sale up here for 25% less than your budget.

I can't vouch for the 'well taken care of' requirement but 123,000 miles for an asking price of $16,600US is starting to get tempting for me. Our LX470 has twice the miles and has been treated like a rented mule and still impresses.

I have looked into it briefly and it definitely seems possible, especially if i fly up there and drive it back myself (allows for exemptions on duty taxes). Being that it is so far away, i think i would be extra picky in terms of finding a clean one though. I have no problem with flying a little further and driving extra distance back as long as the vehicle is worth it. I do not mind filling out customs paperwork and all the minor details for the right vehicle. Money is not on my side but time is so i think this is a great idea.

Also, i am concerned about rust but i do not live up there so i am not familiar with how the roads are treated. Any advice on avoiding a rust bucket if looking up there? Also, i was only able to find a handful within the range of $40k and below (canadian dollars). Is kijiji the biggest used car site? Thank you for your time and advice.

Last edited:
Found this gem while checking the history of a 2009 LX.

All jokes aside, this one seems very clean, although on the higher end at 24k

136k miles, 2 owners,
clean carfax no accidents
Georgia car it's entire life
dealer serviced since new

If i can talk this down about 1500 i think it may be perfect. It's a new listing i'm still waiting on pictures.

LOL.PNG

Last edited:
The 2008 LC i was considering has been sold. I really wasn't leaning towards it anyways but i hope someone out there got a good deal.

Time to continue hunting for LXs, i will share with you guys any promising leads i get in case you are looking as well or in case you see something i don't.

Here is the one from above post. Recent trade in, lady owned for past 8 years or so. Georgia car it's whole life so likely no rust, but i am still waiting on pictures. They just got it detailed today and will upload pictures soon.

You might push the year model to 2011. Love that Bluetooth works with streaming music and most other phone aspects. I believe that started in 2011, maybe 2010.

Just a data point, got my 2011 with 114K at $26.5
They are out there.

You might push the year model to 2011. Love that Bluetooth works with streaming music and most other phone aspects. I believe that started in 2011, maybe 2010.

Just a data point, got my 2011 with 114K at $26.5
They are out there.

Good to know, thank you! I am still looking.

I got a little sidetracked this week, had 2 cruisers i was considering but both fell through in different ways.

This one the guy agreed to let me take it into toyota for an inspection then after i made the appointment, for the time he wanted, he called me back, changed his mind and said i was asking too much. He sounded overwhelmed with whatever else was going on at the moment, stressing that hes a 1 man shop. I mainly just listened as he vented.

Maybe someone else will have better luck as it looks like a solid deal if someone is close enough to check it out. I would inspect it thoroughly because he hates toyota dealers.

It was at Cavender toyota earlier this year then sold to M1 motors in texas, where it sat between $26500 to $27900 for 4 months before sold to cooper wholesalecars who has it listed for 22,900 which is really good price for a texas car with fairly low miles.

I really tried but had to walk away after he changed his mind on the inspection and after he changed his mind on holding it if i showed proof of plane ticket. On top of that he only accepts cash so no way to make a deposit to hold the car for inspection ($300). Anyways, i assumed he was having a bad day when he changed his mind, and wished him the best.

Im a little bummed out knowing that it will be hard to find another one at that price but im sure its for the best. This could be a good deal for someone else though.

2009 for 22k, 14x miles. seems decent. located in Austin TX 2009 Lexus LX570

Thanks for sharing, i did see this linked by someone else in a separate post. With his time limit and me being so far away and him being firm on price, not sure if it is worth 23k sight unseen for me since that will be the cost of having it shipped to me. Earliest i can come see it is the 7th or 8th of December.

So i am looking at flights to go check out a PA/NJ car and wanted to get some advice based on these 2 photos.

Should i be concerned about rust cover up or does that undercarriage look normal? Only asking because it was a NJ/PA car and i was expecting more rust. It is a 2008 with 180k miles on it. Noob question, but why is the metal by the rear left shock leading up to the rear diffs all wrinkly? If there is no rust cover up here, then i am definitely interested in flying up there to take a really close look.

A round trip flight is only $100 bucks if i book it today, and $55 bucks for one way. I was thinking one way since this car has been lexus serviced often and its entire life, so if there is nothing major i will drive it home. The extra 50 bucks for the round trip is to leave myself the option of walking away and not have to pay a few hundred for a flight back.

Thanks in advance for any advice, it is greatly appreciated.

20190912_094526 (1).jpg

20190912_094504 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom