Canoe and full suspension Mtn Bike wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have anything local?? Looking for a 16ft or 17ft non aluminum canoe for touring and a full suspension mtn. bike for some excitement off the water. If you have anything let me know.

Thanks, Tony

What, the multiple projects in your garage not enough entertainment for ya Tony? :D

Canoes are a blast. We used to go canoeing down the salt river which was better in many ways than tubing. Best canoe adventure was going around the finger inlets around the chesapeake bay area doing some salt fly fishing.

What can I say, I get bored easily and have to keep my own attention, plus now I have another reason to take out the cruiser more.
I've done 2 major canoeing trips, one when I was a late teen in Maine and the other 2 summers ago in Yellowstone. I think its a great way to get away from the masses and see the places that few venture out to, not that the cruiser alone doesn't get me there.
Found a like new Old Town canoe today for a smoking deal with lots of extras.
Do you have a canoe Murf?

No, the canoe was my friends and he always had to sit in back because he was much better at "steering" than I was. I havent been canoeing for years.

Youre right, you can get away and into places you cant really get with any other means. They draw such little water you can get into some shallow areas. I bet your Yellowstone trip was amazing !

Did you buy the Old Town?

I had two but one met an unfortunate end.
3.jpg

Sorry to see such an unfortunate demise of such a nice looking canoe and cruiser! What happened to cause the roll, looks kinda flat but pictures can be very deceiving.

I did pick up the Old Town yesterday and am planning on taking it out this week or weekend hopefully.

Sorry to see such an unfortunate demise of such a nice looking canoe and cruiser! What happened to cause the roll, looks kinda flat but pictures can be very deceiving.

I did pick up the Old Town yesterday and am planning on taking it out this week or weekend hopefully.

We were going down a narrow track with a relatively steep drop on one side and a steep bank on the other. He had the lockers on. I offered to get out and spot but he was comfortable without that. We climbed the bank before we knew what happened and then we were teetering on two wheels. I was on the uphill side (it was a RHD truck) and we knew that ANYTHING we had to roll over would tip us. I looked and there was a small pebble we would need to go over to come off the bank but we could not go backwards either. As we creeped forward that pebble sent us over in a slow motion roll. The canoe stopped us from going further but the weight up high may have helped cause the roll too.

We were out of cell range and on the wrong road 13kms from the main logging road. That's a long walk at night (and I was waiting heart surgery and had a bad hip too, both fixed within 6 months of this accident). Nick's friend finally found us at 2:30AM almost at the main road. Those were the nicest headlights I've ever seen!!

The canoe had just been refinished by Nick and my daughter.

I still have one more cedar strip canoe.

No, I don't know him. I remember reading a thread that he started stating someone spent a lot of time to get the canoe finished, took it out and this happened. IIRC, winch was a VERY good thing to have in this incident.

Without the winch we would have had to wait the the next day when we came back with my BJ60 to right it. At least this way the truck was rightside up over night though it had lost enough ATF that it would not drive. We drove it out the next day after returning with my BJ60 and the ATF.

Did you make the cedar strip canoes Charles? One day I want to take on that project and have one that I made with my 2 hands (and of course some tools).

Did you make the cedar strip canoes Charles? One day I want to take on that project and have one that I made with my 2 hands (and of course some tools).

I did! It's not as big a job as it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom