Cannot move transfer lever on a potential buy, need help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am looking at a 96 and cannot move the transfer level out of the H setting. Original owner never used the transfer lever so I am thinking the linkage is possibly seized up. Is that a common issue? Thanks!

First, were you in park or neutral when you tried to move the lever? It will only move in those two positions.

actually most of the time it will only move in "N"....at least all the cruisers ive seen or been in have

It will only shift when there is no pressure on the transfer case. Sometimes mine is a little stiff. Don't be afraid to give it a good pull.

It will only shift when there is no pressure on the transfer case. Sometimes mine is a little stiff. Don't be afraid to give it a good pull.

+1

Put in neutral, be on level surface, truck does NOT need to be running, actually try this with truck OFF... GIVE IT A GOOD PULL!!!

:hillbilly:

Test drove one with a stiff lever. Put both my boots on the dash with the truck in neutral and the parking brake on and then pulled ... it shifted but I did not buy it.

yeah just be careful... i test drove one with a stuck transfer case and when i did get it into low finally after driving it for a bit i was not able to get it back into high. I finally got it back into high after about 10 minutes of rolling the truck back and fourth and the owner s***ting his pants. So just be careful when moving it, maybe ask the owner to put it into low so you dont have any blame for anything going wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom