Cannot Figure this out! FJ62 Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 90 FJ62. I changed my oil last weekend and am stumped at why my 62 took 7 quarts of oil instead of the 8.2 in the owner's manual and everywhere else I looked. I triple checked how much oil I put in, the owner's manual and had a friend confirm that I am not crazy. I used a Toyota D3 oil filter (smaller than the old ones). I put 8.2 quarts in and my oil level was a full quart high on the dipstick. I drove it around the block and got it up to temperature then let it sit for 20 minutes. I checked it 5 times. Finally, I drained enough out until it was just above full line.

Everything is stock and I just don't see how the old filters, that were larger, could hold a full quart more than the new smaller one. What am I missing?

Dude, the sump on these things are huge with the pickup right at the bottom. If you got something in there you'll be fine.
And how are you measuring to the exact quart with the dipstick ?

The oil was as far over the Full line as the distance from Low to Full. That is usually about a quart. I also drained out about a quart to get it down to the F line. I still don't understand how I cannot put 8 quarts in it. Weird.

My truck calls for 10.5 quarts. When I fill it up, it always goes well above the f line. I always have to remind myself not to add the 10th quart. I never drained the excess though. Truck is fine.

The oil was as far over the Full line as the distance from Low to Full. That is usually about a quart. I also drained out about a quart to get it down to the F line. I still don't understand how I cannot put 8 quarts in it. Weird.

What is stopping you from putting an 8th quart in?

Do you have oil pressure? Are there 7-8 quarts in the motor? If yes to both of these questions then you are worrying about nothing.

Anyways, I thought there were supposed to be 7 quarts? I think that's what my FSM says.

Just keep checking it when pouring. I put in 6 1/2 and check in a few mins for the mark. Usually no more than 7 quarts. Like ever

7 or 7.5 is about all our 90 fj62 takes. Pretty much the same with all my others(2f), I always put 7 in then check and recheck

Forget the books. Fill, check, drive, check. Nothing takes 'capacity'.

with the 51515 and 3FE with fj80 pan only takes 7.2-.4 with filter in my rig...can't recall what the earlier fj62 pan and filter combo took, but seem to remember it being about 7.5ish...regardless, listen to the dipstick...

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I know the engine is fine with 7 quarts in it and I listened to the dipstick but glad to know I'm not crazy. That being said, I have a couple other old cars that take exactly what the owner's manual says. Seems unlike Toyota to be that far off in their owner's manual but now I know.

I've been changing oil for 55 years now, and the FSM's are rarely correct, as there is always oil left in the engine. As been said, follow the dipstick for the fill amount, and note it in you records.

tis may be due to the 3FE having been mated to several different pan configurations...and as far as I know, the fj60 fsm is only wrong in like 3 places- and not WRONG, just not as clear as they usually are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom