Candy-striped by the dealership (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title should read "Candy-striped by the dealership"

Here is the damage they did to my truck while testing up it on a lift. The front drive shaft has a small groove in it from the sway bar.

Why would the DS hang that low and cause that damage? Do you think I should ask the dealership to replace the DS? The balancing is probably all off but I can’t really hear or feel any vibration.

IMG_1240 (Medium).jpg
IMG_1240 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Is this after installing a lift? The damage looks minimal really. It should still be balanced if the grove is equal all the way around the shaft. At least now you know you need sway bar drop brackets. Better it happen in the lift then out on the trail.

Howdy! From the reddish tint on both sides of the stripe, I would gues that it has been rubbed on there before. That is rust from previous damage. The dealer just shined it up in the middle, again. John

And because your driveshaft is on backwards. I have the same lift as you, and when I have my truck up on the lift at work the driveshaft has plenty of clearance over the swaybar since the slip yoke sits right there and it's narrower than the rest of the shaft. Flip that sucker around!

And because your driveshaft is on backwards. I have the same lift as you, and when I have my truck up on the lift at work the driveshaft has plenty of clearance over the swaybar since the slip yoke sits right there and it's narrower than the rest of the shaft. Flip that sucker around!

If a drive shaft is balanced and weighted correctly, and the shaft is true, the orientation of the driveshaft will not matter whether the slip yoke side is to the xfer case or to the pinion side.

But, I agree about the sway bar issue in terms of clearance, especially under articulation.

-o-

I'm not questioning the balancing of the shaft, merely pointing out that the front driveshaft/swaybar locations are designed with the slip yoke to be mounted at the front differential side. This lets the narrower slip yoke portion of the shaft clear the front swaybar sans rubbing, even at full droop.

The FSM also shows a picture of this.

I'm not questioning the balancing of the shaft, merely pointing out that the front driveshaft/swaybar locations are designed with the slip yoke to be mounted at the front differential side. This lets the narrower slip yoke portion of the shaft clear the front swaybar sans rubbing, even at full droop.

The FSM also shows a picture of this.

If you have no swaybar, there is nothing to worry about in terms of drive shaft orientation.

:grinpimp:

If you have no swaybar, there is nothing to worry about in terms of drive shaft orientation.:grinpimp:

Yea:rolleyes:

Drop blocks would help but also removing the sway bar will also fix the issue.

True Beno, but i must admit without my front sway in my truck sways like a tree.

My question... Why would the dealership need to turn the DS when on the lift to cause this issue?
I have a 2.5 OME on mine and it rubbed, Yours IMHO looks like it has had trail wear, We all know that if the wheels are on the ground that it shouldnt rub, What did the dealership do that would need it on a lift and have the trans in drive?!?

EDIT when I mean drive , Why would the wheels or DL be turning?

The dealership was trying to pin point the noise that the cruiser was making. So they (I assume) drove it up on the lift while someone underneath listened.

Thanks for the correct information about which way the DS is suppose line up. If that isn't going to cut it, I will do the drop brackets.

Thanks for help.

I just installed drop blocks on mine for the same issue. Have they pinpointed the noise any further yet? I know they were trying to hit you up for the rear diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom