Canadian HJ60, 1980? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
@pistonpete @georgebj60
I picked up a roller HJ60 parts truck yesterday from a MUd friend here in TX yesterday and was surprised to see it has drum brakes on the front axle. I thought I was well versed on 60 series until I came across this. I knew non US countries received 60’s in 1980, but did not realize front drums were an option ( may have been standard). Lobbing this out there to see if any of y’all have any other knowledge on this or know of other unusual facts about this first year 60
@fjeng

1612709584593.jpeg
So this could be an 81. The reassigned SC vin actually states 81. It was definitely an HJ as it had a 2H in it

i know a few guys who have had hj60s here in canada. bj60s had the 4 cylinder hj60 had the 6.
so yes we had both
i can’t tell you about the brakes though. i kinda skipped from fj40s to my fj62. i don’t know the early 60 series at all

Cool find. Is the body frame decent or is it a donor?
Frame is good as well as 3 of the 4 doors. PO replaced (before Taylor) those with rust free ones and re-skinned one door, but the doors shell is rotten. Wire harness and the HJ radiator are good as well.

Cool find. But as @FJACS mentioned, I am unaware of any HJ's prior to 1986 in Canada. And that VIN plate doesn't look like a CDN plate so this maybe came from overseas? I had a 1981 BJ60, but I don't recall if it had drums or discs up front. I'll see if I can figure it out from my old pictures (pre cell phone era). I don't know of any 1980 trucks in Canada.

Other oddities to that older truck that I think are specific to '81 and early '82 (and maybe 1980 trucks too, if they exist):
  • vinyl seats
  • bench seat up front
  • vinyl flooring instead of carpet
  • rear hatch glass guard bar on tailgate
  • manual steering, with older style steering wheel
  • 3B engine, with 4spd transmission
  • no A/C
Let's see some more pictures!

I have an 82 BJ60 and it has disc front brakes, 5 speed

Onur beat me to it, seen em before from Colombia. Large 3” wide shoes up front. The one I experienced was a 2f with oil bath air cleaner, non smog, weird carb hat (like 3f), split bench, rear jump seats, no carb fan and no fender vent either, “G” trim.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. It's a South American truck. Tell-tale by the front drum brakes.

Take a gander and see if it has a Dana rear axle.
Ha. That’s just great :). So what’s the situation with the knuckles Onur. Can’t tell from where it sits on the trailer but wondering how different they are from the disk version.

Ha. That’s just great :). So what’s the situation with the knuckles Onur. Can’t tell from where it sits on the trailer but wondering how different they are from the disk version.

Hubs and knuckles will definitely be different. Backing plates will be different.

Hubs and knuckles will definitely be different. Backing plates will be different.
That’s what I figured. Some asked about the rear end and it looks like every other 60 diff/axle I’ve seen. But the door locks should have been a dead giveaway that it’s from S America

CFEAB812-BF96-462F-A331-3893051B1D57.jpeg

50BB6DD4-F102-4F8A-A954-4C1C76B61A2D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom