Canadian GL4 oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because of the lack of viscosity info i would be hesitant to use it though it does specify its a gl4 oil, maybe if you found a product data sheet. I use Redline MT 90 in my transmission.

Because of the lack of viscosity info i would be hesitant to use it though it does specify its a gl4 oil, maybe if you found a product data sheet. I use Redline MT 90 in my transmission.
Curt;
The Viscosity of ANY "GL4" spec oil is "SAE Grade 80W90".
The Viscosity of ANY "GL5" spec oil is "SAE Grade 80W90"...... BUT!!!!!!
The GL5 Spec has additional "EP Additives"! Sometimes this is benign, BUT most times it can be VERY damaging to the vehicle..
Example. MOST!! (if not ALL) GL5 spec oil includes "additives" that are harmful to "yellow metals" (also called "Red Metals")..
In short, ANY Copper/brass based metal!! The GL5 Spec WILL actually "eat" (dissolve) copper based metals (i.e. Bushings, Syncros, etc.) I know, I added a GL5 Spec oil to my 1970 Datsun's Steering box.. (upper & lower race were brass!) after a period of time (year or so), I learned, in a helluva hurry, what the lack of steering does to one's underwear when going into an "S Curve" at 80 per!!!
ALSO, a VERY IMPORTANT POINT!! Pick ONE BRAND of quality oils for the entire vehicle, and STAY WITH THEM!! I cannot tell you the number of "worn-out" Low Mileage engines I have rebuilt because the owner used "whatever was on sale" motor oil!!
Charles 1974 FJ40. ("Heavy Line Mechanic" for over forty years, now retired... and very tired!)

After a little more digging I believe the weight of the PetroCan one is 140. I read this on their product sheet buried somewhere but can’t find it now. I’m not completely sure though. I don’t know why it isnt more easily found.

After a little more digging I believe the weight of the PetroCan one is 140. I read this on their product sheet buried somewhere but can’t find it now. I’m not completely sure though. I don’t know why it isnt more easily found.
"Weight" and "Viscosity" are two different forms of "measurement of (oils) thickness"
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom