Canada 87 pickup 2lt to 1kz swap tips (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, first time posting here. Looking for a bit of help on doing a 1kz swap in my 87 4x4 pick up with the 2lt.
I pick the truck up about 8/9 years ago cheap on night for a bush beater, it can with a spare motor, gearbox, and transfer case. Typical yota rust it had for up here on the cab and box and some mechanical problems. Wasn’t till I looked underneath in my shop till I found the frame was rotted out pretty bad.
So the project began. Found a 85 2wd frame that was pretty much rust free, installed a trail gear 4” solid axled kit, doubled the transfer cases behind the w56 gearbox, fixed the rotten rockers, floor pans, box quarters and bobbed the box, built bumpers, etc. Lots still to do.
The 1kz motor I picked up has already been converted to a mechanical pump, so that’s a bonus. It can with pretty much everything the was under the hood, wiring, intake, etc.
I know the motor mounts need to be moved, wondering where a good place to get a bell housing to got to my w56, what flywheel and clutch to use being the 1kz was mounted to a automatic tranny. Also any other tips would be helpful.
Pictures are from when I bought the truck to what it looks like now.
7A561E83-E8AB-428D-91FB-49CFFC6338D3.jpeg
461CA1C8-18AE-48CA-9CDF-181897DD1868.jpeg
39680FFF-08F8-4CCF-B8FC-ADDA42FAE508.jpeg
25D72B6E-DC8D-4D72-9B82-081BA4BC3072.jpeg
C736E3A2-B797-4E3A-99DF-14A051CA9AC6.jpeg

Hi Modco,it would be good to know where about in Canada are you.
My son and I did a 5 speed conversion and dual case on his surf and we bought the flywheel and clutch from roughtrax 4x4 and got the 1kz to R151 bellhousing from eBay Australia.i don’t think there’s a bellhousing for11kz to W series trans but I can be wrong.

I’m out in the Okanagan in BC. I have found a bell housing to adapt to the W56 gearbox, waiting for that so I can build the motor mounts in place. Shouldn’t be to hard of a swap being it’s won’t be a E motor anymore when done, and the emissions crap will be gone too.

Okanagan is a very nice area,have been thinking of moving there to get away from the cold.ive been driving to bc last few summers.
What truck is that bellhousing from?

Okanagan is a very nice area,have been thinking of moving there to get away from the cold.ive been driving to bc last few summers.
JDMHOOKUP

Jdmhookup.com is the only place I’ve found that bell housing that I need. Ordering one soon.

Didn’t not know there’s aftermarket 1kz/W58 bellhousing

hi Cody I know Toyota make 1kz to auto and to R151/150,and the 1Hdt to H55,1Hdt to H150/H151 and 1Hz to R150/151,the 1hz and 1Hdt have same engine side bolts pattern but 1kz and 1Hdt are not the same.

Looking great so far.
As a 6 year and two rebuild owner of a 1kz (te) I can offer some advice on how to keep these engines going.
COOLING. MAKE SURE THEY STAY COOL.

There are a lot of threads on cooling the 1kz, but basically just make sure your cooling system is in proper condition. Not sure if you do a lot of mountains etc, but a good radiator, a good condition water pump, and a new thermostat are the must!

Re the engine performance itself, i got a big improvement in responsiveness when I installed an external boost controller, since my turbo wastegate was creeping and venting off boost before hitting max. I use a Hallman Pro manual boost contoller, but i'm sure there are more affordable options which will do just fine. You will want some high temperature silicone hose to go with it (cheap on ebay).

I look forward to seeing the build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom