Builds Canada - 1999 KZJ90 Land Cruiser "build" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much to report. Rolled up 138k kms yesterday and she keeps doing her thing.

Here's some recent pics, as I dodge a prairie storm...
IMG_20210518_153557725.jpg

IMG_20210518_153610115.jpg

Hello you 90 guys! I'm an old Prado fan/owner and live on Vancouver Island. Really nice to see some enthusiasm for what I consider to be one of the best Yotas ever built. Presently I have a 2000 KZJ 95. This is my 4th daily driver Prado over 15 years. Being a mechanic since 13 years old( now 63 ugg!) and having owned countless vehicles, these KZJ's are the cream of Toyota's and certainly light years better than any of their new junk.
I haven't really been on MUD for a long time but its great to be back and connecting with some Prado ppl. I have extensive experience with finding parts etc and maintaining so can offer any advice there. Also am looking forward to following/learning from your projects/mods etc.
I will post some pics of my Prado journey soon.
Cheers
Keith

JDM Journey ....Wow you have put some extreme TLC into your 90! That is a beautiful rig. Nice work. I really like the round headlight look.
I gave up on the 90's forum some years ago as there was so little traffic then. I'm happy to see some Canadians coming to MUD with their Prado's.

Here's my babies over the last 15 years. First started my JDM obsession with a 1990 Surf with 16K (had some plastic still on the seats). It was the incredibly under powered 2LT so quickly got rid of that. Next went to an 1991 LJ78 Prado (80K) with the 2LTE and soon after during a trip to Silverstar the head cracked. Towed it home to the Island and put an Austrailian AM head on it along with all the other keep it cool mods and drove that for several years. If it had had the 1KZTE I probably would still own it..LOL.
Then came the 1996 KZJ95 and I fell in love. My son now has it for sale. I will be sad to see it leave the family. Got it with 60K on it and we had that one for many years. Along the way I also imported a Rav4, a Nissan Xtrail GT rocket and a third gen Rav4 for my wife's daily drivers.
The next LC was a the silver 2002 RZJ95. This one was a beautiful specimen but I didn't do my home work and found out the hard way that the 3RZ-FE gas engine although being extreemely reliable was a fuel pig as well as in this chassis considerably under powered.
My DD now is the Pearl KZJ95. Instead of going through my usual importer I bought it off a sketchy car lot in Vancouver. Found out after that the whole wire harness from the fuse box back to the instrument panel had been melted. After countless hours I was able to replace most of the harness and she's okay now.
I put the Old Man Emu lift kit into the previous two Prados but with this one did the economic lift with spacers. Actually like the ride better as it's not as stiff. Better for those long trips.

For some reason this one never had a bull bar or roof rails. I'm looking for a suitable bar for the front as I do wheel from time to time. As you can see I got a excellent roof rack from Front Runner in California. Very beefy and works great for my tent/cargo.

So looking forward to trips again and JDM Journey maybe we will see you in Moab. We try to go to once a year at least to Utah or Colorado mountain biking.

Happy trails
Keith

20130526_140322.jpg

20130526_135741.jpg

20130526_140146.jpg

20130526_140556_1.jpg

20130526_140506.jpg

More of my JDM's

20150423_173019_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150419_160913.jpg

20150417_174752.jpg

20140407_183855.jpg

20140330_155259.jpg

and more...

20171220_154447.jpg

20170822_181127.jpg

FB_IMG_1499282996453.jpg

20150424_080703_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150423_173034_Richtone(HDR).jpg

1KZ cracked head :(

20200926_150925.jpg

20200927_174441.jpg

20180605_122946.jpg

20180605_123021.jpg

TOYOTA RAV4 (2).jpg

And my latest baby...

20210712_092635.jpg

20210712_092554.jpg

20210712_092515.jpg

20210411_193015.jpg

20201024_135643.jpg

Hi D21FJ60

No I don't have my own thread but shoud start one. Got to find the time ...ugg. Will work on that.

Winter tires and wheels are now on. Did an oil change. Not a lot more to report, except to say that this rig may have just turned back into mostly commuter, after what I bought recently. Got myself an HZJ77 Landcruiser, and it is destined to be my adventure rig, when its ready...
View attachment 2495544
View attachment 2495545

So far I've swapped the roofrack onto the 70, to save fuel for the DD with the Prado.

Oh, I did replace the upper balljoint boots, and grease. And I have brand new Toyota lower balljoints sitting on the bench. There's no sign of play in my OEM BJ's at 122k kms but I'll likely do them soon, just because.
I enjoyed reading of your adventures in building up a workable multipurpose vehicle. I appreciate your sense of humor that comes through your posts. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE that is serious about Land Cruisers HAS to have a sense of humor! Especially when locating and obtaining parts, and dealing with people that do NOT know Land Cruisers... ;)

Welcome to the family of the heavy-duty 70's!!! :cheers:

You should have a good time building up that new rig, and have no issues with finding everything you need for it.

I enjoyed reading of your adventures in building up a workable multipurpose vehicle. I appreciate your sense of humor that comes through your posts. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE that is serious about Land Cruisers HAS to have a sense of humor! Especially when locating and obtaining parts, and dealing with people that do NOT know Land Cruisers... ;)

Welcome to the family of the heavy-duty 70's!!! :cheers:

You should have a good time building up that new rig, and have no issues with finding everything you need for it.
Thanks so much @Rigster . Build threads are mostly pages of talking to yourself, so it's nice to hear that at least someone got a laugh. 😄

My wife is currently using the Prado in this thread as her daily. She loves her 100. But it has a substance abuse problem, requiring frequent stops at (gas) bars. 😂 Thus she is appreciating the frugal 1kz while I test/tune/drive the 77 for the summer. 😉

Thanks so much @Rigster . Build threads are mostly pages of talking to yourself, so it's nice to hear that at least someone got a laugh. 😄

My wife is currently using the Prado in this thread as her daily. She loves her 100. But it has a substance abuse problem, requiring frequent stops at (gas) bars. 😂 Thus she is appreciating the frugal 1kz while I test/tune/drive the 77 for the summer. 😉
LOL... yes. I talk to myself regularly, I am used to it. But someone I trust told me I was ok... and to only start worrying when I begin arguing with myself! So I am taking that to heart and running with it. ;)

If frugality is something you are striving for, you may get a little frustrated with the 77. Just due to the weight of these machines, and being mechanical indirect injection they tend to burn a little more fuel. I managed to make mine a little more economic after turboing the motor, and of course it is nice not having to downshift if you even glance sideways at a hill. What are you getting per tank of fuel? I tend to only get around 500km for around 75 litres of mixed driving. I could probably get a little more if it was all highway.

You may know of this place already, but just to the north of you in Edmonchuck is a place called 4wheelauto. Call them and talk to Dan for any 70 series parts, questions, etc. I have been dealing with Dan for over 20 years for my many 40 series, my 60 series, and now my 70 series Land Cruiser. Say hi to him for Darren from Vernon if you decide to give him a call.

Reach out if you have any questions on the 70, and keep that sense of humor while you plug away on your new project! :D

LOL... yes. I talk to myself regularly, I am used to it. But someone I trust told me I was ok... and to only start worrying when I begin arguing with myself! So I am taking that to heart and running with it. ;)

If frugality is something you are striving for, you may get a little frustrated with the 77. Just due to the weight of these machines, and being mechanical indirect injection they tend to burn a little more fuel. I managed to make mine a little more economic after turboing the motor, and of course it is nice not having to downshift if you even glance sideways at a hill. What are you getting per tank of fuel? I tend to only get around 500km for around 75 litres of mixed driving. I could probably get a little more if it was all highway.

You may know of this place already, but just to the north of you in Edmonchuck is a place called 4wheelauto. Call them and talk to Dan for any 70 series parts, questions, etc. I have been dealing with Dan for over 20 years for my many 40 series, my 60 series, and now my 70 series Land Cruiser. Say hi to him for Darren from Vernon if you decide to give him a call.

Reach out if you have any questions on the 70, and keep that sense of humor while you plug away on your new project! :D
Is it possible to get a photo of your 76 Series dash?
Thanks

Drove the 90 for the first time in a few weeks last night. Managed to wrestle it away from my wife. I sure do miss that turbo whistle. But then I tried to pull away from a stop sign in 2nd and almost stalled it. 😂 Damn you 1HZ!

Hey all, I just picked up a 1999 J95, 5 door. I'm located in Hamilton.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know where I can find some quality rubber mats for these things? I was thinking Sandgrabba out of Australia but they only make them for RHD vehicles.

Thanks.

Loved reading through this thread, such a clean rare specimen to build off of. Im a long time 80s owner and my heart is telling me go with HDJ but my wallet and brain is telling me KDJ (need a fuel efficient cruiser to fill in for my gas guzzling supercharged FZJ). Hopefully ill have luck finding a 5speed like yours been keeping a close eye on the auctions for a while through pacific coast auto. Anyways keep up the great work and updates! nice trucks!!

Hey all, I just picked up a 1999 J95, 5 door. I'm located in Hamilton.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know where I can find some quality rubber mats for these things? I was thinking Sandgrabba out of Australia but they only make them for RHD vehicles.

Thanks.
Dodio - I'm in Kitchener and my Mom lives on E23'rd in the Hammer - Drop me your number by PM and we can see if we can hook up ( I have one of the other Canadian builds in the 90's section here)

Have to admit, the 90 mostly just gets oil changes these days while the 77 keeps me busy. But new glows soon I suspect ..

And I did just buy new snow tires. Not mounted yet but I figured I'd get ahead of the curve, with the supposed shortage coming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom