Builds Canada - 1999 KZJ90 Land Cruiser "build" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to move to the next phase...

A business supply company a few hours north of me sells steel drawers, and I always thought they'd make a great budget solution for an overland storage system.
Uline packing table steel drawer

I bought two, and have had them on hand for this build. If I was removing the back seats, these would fit as is, stacked two high. Even with the seat back folded, there appeared to be room. But I wanted to be able to keep everything in place if possible.

This would require some modifications to the upper drawer, which didn't quite fit, when you allow for the rake on the seatbacks.

By flipping the end wall, and cutting the sides down on the outer shell, I was able to effectively shorten the drawer's foot print without changing the inner drawer itself.
IMG_20200202_174921.jpg

Last edited:
Time to install the drawers!

First up... The frames:
IMG_20200209_150645_01.jpg

The slight cut I made to the length of the upper drawer (in my post above) allowed the seat backs to be pulled back and sit at their deployed angle. Job done!

So... I made a cardboard template and used it to cut a plywood top. This only attaches the the drawers, which are bolted to the base. So my plastic knurled knobs I referred to earlier hold the whole business to the floor. Under a minute can have this truck back to stock, if need be...

IMG_20200211_173206.jpg

Dometic CC40 fits length wise next to them - just needs to be secured.

IMG_20200211_173234.jpg

Or, for DD mode, I can just use my little carry-all, which sits pretty much level.

IMG_20200211_174520.jpg

When the rear seats are folded flat, the whole business is pretty much level all the way forward.

Also, after careful measuring, I realized that even with the back seats in their passenger readiness state, I could still fit a Camp Chef Sherpa bag/table on top. So I got one!

IMG_20200209_170325.jpg

This was challenging to make fit in a 2 door, while making it easily removeable, and able to fit with the rear seats upright. There is also room along the sides for water jugs, tow straps, soft shackles, etc. Very much looking forward to testing out my setup in Utah this spring.

Still many details to work out, but I'm feeling good about the progress in getting everything to fit, so far.

My plan going forward is to use the upper drawer as my overland kitchen, since a stove will fit in and slide out for use. The lower drawer will hold my chair, and anything else that's not stored in the C/S Sherpa, above.

Sometimes, CB is still the comm method, so I figured I'd install it in a place that was heretofore useless. Since I'm a non-smoker? You guessed it. The ashtray.

be919ef1020b6f0871d73d1bbbb62cc3617558a4.jpg

Removing the center fascia allowed me to remove some of the rear framework behind the ashtray, and then I simply screwed the CB to the tabs left behind the fascia. Quite secure, and mostly out of the way, although the underneath section is completely open, allowing the underside speaker to do its thing.

35981452a5b70b5f19dc39cfe8e6d40c92bad43a.jpg

I still have access to the pocket underneath for odds and ends.

She's been a little rumbly in the cold lately if I don't plug her in, so I decided to order new glows. I'm generally an OEM guy, but HKT glowplugs were about the same for four as one Toyo one, so I thought I'd give them a go. And the cheapie VIC fuel filter? Well, that is in case I need to swap one in a hurry. Nice to have a backup in the winter. We shall see? The reviews I found for the glow plugs ranged from indifferent to decent, so I figured it was worth a shot. I'll report back after I screw them in. The deep freeze doesn't appear to be over yet...
HKT CP-22 for reference... (Special effects added for silliness)
glows.jpg

So I pulled intercooler, replaced glows... But then the lockdown began. So suddenly I had more time, and less need to drive. So here's the story of what happened:
"While you're in there..." - the slippery slope of preventative maintenance.

The Coles notes version? Pulled the intake. Egr. Intercooler. Starter. Fuel lines. Cleaned out the carbon buildup. Rebuilt starter solenoid. Put it all back together.

IMG_20200328_165024.jpg

IMG_20200321_174956.jpg

This is coming together quite nice.

Thanks! Suddenly I've got more time for mods.

So I'm back to the bumper again... To recap, it's an ARB Sahara bar that I got for cheap. But cheap means it needs work. Lots of work. Missing the mounts, the light buckets, and the spacers on the top edge. I got some mounts direct from ARB but even with matching numbers, they were for the deluxe model.

I made some brackets to make the whole thing work.
IMG_20200416_151004.jpg

So with spacers missing/broken on top, I removed what was left and mocked it in place. The space below the grille and lights was glaringly obvious. Bumper looked like it was falling down. So I had to do some adjusting... After massaging the back edge with a grinder and hammer I was able to adjust the position to a place where I think I'm happy with it. Here's my latest mockup:
IMG_20200413_195136.jpg

So then I pulled it off again for sand
/Prime/paint… that's where we are at as of today. First prime coat:
IMG_20200417_171329.jpg

Bumper is painted, massaged (cough cough) and is now bolted firmly in place. Waiting on fog light inserts to fill the holes. Still need to bolt on those lights that are sitting there at the moment.

Swapped to my BFG AT's as well, on 17 inch American Racing wheels (not my pick, but the previous owner had bought the combo prior to selling, and had put maybe 3 km's on them, AND they came with the truck so... might as well put them to use?)

prado bump.jpg

And in case you're wondering, no, they don't really fit. Pretty sure he didn't actually run them. I've got a daystar 1.5" spacer lift on order, because I have no shame, and I'm impatient. Also I "lightened" the factory flaps, and "streamlined" the body seam. Which means not only can I run bigger tires, but I'll also get better fuel economy. Yep. No doubt... 👨‍🍳

Bumper is done. Winch is hooked up, factory fogs were retrofitted, indicators were retrofitted.

Still need to wire PIAA driving lights and indicators.But at least the giant holes are filled.
IMG_20200505_181019.jpg

Okay, where was I? Wow. May was a long time ago. Hmmm... so running boards got removed:

IMG_20200429_175548.jpg

Okay... earlier I alluded to shoehorning tires...
Preface... This vehicle only has about 60k miles on it. Suspension feels like new. So, I did what any young teenager (which I'm not) would do with his first vehicle ;) . I have to admit it: I put in spacers. Only inch and a half, f&r. But it was enough to clear the previous owner's tire ambitions.
IMG_20200505_182752.jpg

Bonus: CV angles are still good.
IMG_20200506_151558.jpg

IMG_20200507_153903.jpg

Here was how she sat, post "lift". Okay, it's lifted up, even if its not a "lift" per se. I can see I'm not gonna convince you all, so let's just move on. :)
IMG_20200513_211547.jpg

Awning:

It is an ARB 2000 long by 2500 wide. It is now on and secure. One of the problems I always seem to run into is the awning and the RTT competing for the same real estate. I think I have it figured out this time around. But one step at a time. Awning first.

Attached a piece (actually two bolted together) of slotted angle to the awning (think upside down L) and then used bolts up through the slots on either side of a perpendicular roof rack bar through a piece of drilled metal stock, in three places. Very solid, both packed up, and deployed. Hard to see it since the business is behind the awning.

Used a cap on each end of the angle.
awning 1.jpg

awning 3.jpg

awning 4.jpg

Yes, its switched sides a few times. I have reasons for which side, but I'll go into that later.

Still miffed over my "lift"? Get over it, and then laugh at my folly. Need help? Check out this blog entry, where I don't attempt to justify it at all. Not even a little bit. Okay, a teensy bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom