Builds Canada - 1999 KZJ90 Land Cruiser "build"

Have to admit, the 90 mostly just gets oil changes these days while the 77 keeps me busy. But new glows soon I suspect ..

And I did just buy new snow tires. Not mounted yet but I figured I'd get ahead of the curve, with the supposed shortage coming.
Yes the 77 build seems more involved! but sweet truck as well and the sheet metal work you're doing looks good. How do you find the 1kz power wise for daily?

JDM Journeys

Yes the 77 build seems more involved! but sweet truck as well and the sheet metal work you're doing looks good. How do you find the 1kz power wise for daily?
As a daily, it's great. Mine's a shorty manual of course, so very nimble, good on fuel, and the boost allows it to keep up with modern traffic easily, as well as plenty of power for the highway. I've never driven an auto 1kz so I can't compare, but torque converter losses would definitely take some of the zippiness away.

Compared to the HZJ77, the KZJ90 feels a lot more modern. This is both a good and bad thing, I guess? Some days you just want to get in and drive to work, without thinking about how you get there. Other days you want to be present, planning your shifts, watching your egt's, and actively piloting your vintage machine. Chances are you can figure out which is which? :)

JDM Journeys

Got some new winters yesterday. Uniroyals, and pretty cheap, but lots of siped tread so I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Also, the size is interesting... 245/75R16… which makes it exactly the same height as the stock 265/70 only narrower, which should be better on-road in snow.

Strangely, no snow to speak of here yet.

Oh, rolled up 150k kms yesterday. Maybe broke in now?
IMG_20211120_095156_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom