Can you use bench seats with a 4spd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 64' with bench seats and plan on putting in a 4 spd. Does the seat interfere with the stick shift? I plan on having a parking brake on the floor as well. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Yes 4 speed & shifter works fine with bench seat, the problem is the tranny tunnel cover is very close to the top of the 4 speed
P1010085.jpg

I have a 4-speed retrofitted into my '71 FJ40. The tranny hump has been altered slightly for clearance, but there's plenty of clearance between the shifter and the bench seat. Also clears my heater. The only drawback is that clearance is very tight if you try to put a person in the middle position. Kids are OK, but it's not advisable with an adult.

The stock Toyota 4 speed shift lever gets REALLY close to the bench seat. I like to have a drink holder/mini console on the seat next to me, and the lever would definitely hit the console before engaging second or fourth.

I put my lever in a vice and partially straightened the bend in the lever. Took it out and dropped it back into the trans hole a couple of times, pulled out and repeated until I had an angle I was comfortable with between the dash and the seat.

Also keep in mind that your 4WD lever pulls away from the dash in LO, so you have to account for clearance there as well.

Best

Mark A.

had a 66 fj40 with a 4 speed and a bench seat from an olds 98 for years and no problems .but seating a third person doesnt work well .i now prefer the coffee holder .good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom