Can you tell me what dizzy I have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are a couple of dizzy pics from my 1970 fj40. Can someone identify for me?

Thanks,
Buck

20220908_164312.jpg

20220908_164158.jpg

There's a part number plate on the side of the body if you can get your phone down there to get a shot.
Also, another pic with the rotor and cover underneath the rotor removed would help.
Is the cap a Toyota part or does it happen to say Delco on it? I pulled a Delco-Remy from a 72 once. They were also sold as an 'upgrade' by Man-A-Fre back in the day.

@4Cruisers is a resident expert. He'll know more.

That's a stock F engine vacuum retard distributor. I've modified several to convert them to vacuum advance, but you'd need to add an advance port to your carburetor tom take advantage. I still have parts for the conversion if you're interested.

That's a stock F engine vacuum retard distributor. I've modified several to convert them to vacuum advance, but you'd need to add an advance port to your carburetor tom take advantage. I still have parts for the conversion if you're interested.
I'm new to the fj40 game. What do you have to do to add another port to the carburetor? Can you do this to a f carb and a 2f carb?
Thanks.

The 2F carburetors, which started in 1/75, had a port that worked as a source of vacuum for vacuum advance. California models with EGR had this port starting in 9/73 (F engine, then 2F starting in 1/75). The advance port is located just forward of the idle mixture screw on the valve cover side of the carburetor, near the base. Here's a great resource for identifying carburetors (you can see the port in the photos):

A port can be added by carefully drilling a small hole into the carburetor, then drilling it out a bit more on the outside to accept a short piece of brass (or copper) tube. There are some write-ups somewhere here on MUD. Here is one:

Is this dizzy work refreshing? I'm new to all this and apparently I'm addicted to spending every nickel I earn and learning the hard way.

The PO has a chevy distributor on and I found this in the rig as parts when I got this last year (been doing an engine rebuild - just got done redoing some stuff I missed/(screwed - harmonic balancer)) - Anyway - looks like the dizzy is appropriate for 1980 FJ40 (19100-61101). No cap, coil or ignitor. just what you see.

Threads are completely seized and need to be drilled as well.

Chevy dizzy is on it it works - but....

68823700704--2978C080-B0EA-4A56-AB3C-811B8238E101.JPEG

68823703179--513D96A5-DED0-4989-AB94-2BB930CE58F0.JPEG

68823704423--11F04315-6961-4AD6-BBB6-7C6488AB9575.JPEG

Do both diaphragms on the advancer work and hold vacuum? If you don't need the high altitude compensation system, only the inner diaphragm is needed.

The internals don't look bad at all, a good cleaning and refurbishment of the breaker plate should fix it up nicely.

advancer/vacuum = kaput...

being a noob - is this something I could send off - and get back someday - I'm not sure where to source parts for restoration. soon salt will be on the road with that white stuff from the sky - so will be keeping inside 'til spring - think this and the wiper motor might be good winters projects.

being a noob - is this something I could send off - and get back someday - I'm not sure where to source parts for restoration. soon salt will be on the road with that white stuff from the sky - so will be keeping inside 'til spring - think this and the wiper motor might be good winters projects.

what is the status of your fender mounted coil & igniter setup ?

post pics ..

I have a few good used single diaphragm advancers from F engines that will work, but you'd lose high altitude compensation. Good working dual diaphragm advancers for the '79 and '80 2F distributors are hard to come by, even harder to find are '80 through '87 advancers.

I'm not sure where to source parts for restoration.
The signal generators usually don't fail, and the breaker plates are usually fine after disassembly, cleaning, lubrication, and reassembly. The only parts you may need, other than the advancer, are the cap, dust seal, rotor, and shaft O-ring. All are available new from Toyota or aftermarket sources. More than likely the stop pin bushing for the mechanical advance will need to be replaced, hardware store nylon or aluminum spacers work well (1/4" OD, 1/4" long, with a hole for a #8 screw).

The signal generators usually don't fail, and the breaker plates are usually fine after disassembly, cleaning, lubrication, and reassembly. The only parts you may need, other than the advancer, are the cap, dust seal, rotor, and shaft O-ring. All are available new from Toyota or aftermarket sources. More than likely the stop pin bushing for the mechanical advance will need to be replaced, hardware store nylon or aluminum spacers work well (1/4" OD, 1/4" long, with a hole for a #8 screw).
Thanks - I did see some parts you mentioned earlier today at Toyota - the igniter - will need to source one too or alternative. More homework to get smart.

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom