Can you tell me if I'm missing parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Honeycutt.jpg
Hey, how y'all doing? This is my first post on this site! I'm working on a 1969 FJ40 build that came in separate boxes and in a big heap. I'm trying to make it go with what I have. That being said I'm not sure what I have and what I'm missing.

I had the original 1F torn to pieces and in 4-separate-boxes-engine and 3 -speed taken out. The engine I removed, the trans/transfer was removed prior (not for sure it's what they said it was).
I want to replace it (with the other motor - trans/transfer that I got in the sale). I was told it is a 4 - speed transmission/transfer case and therefore I believe that would make the other motor a 2F?
Any clarification on whether this information is true or not would be appreciated. On top of that, bonus points if you can tell me if I can make any of it work in the 69 FJ40 body/frame?
I have the photos labeled on what I was told they were. I don't have a photo of the 2F engine but I am trying to get a video of it to upload.

1F.jpg

3 -speed.jpg

4 -speed.jpg

the engine in the frame is an F the engine on the floor is an F, the transfer case is hard to tell with an adaptor of some sort maybe to a V8?
the trans and transfer combo is a 3 speed with related transfer

is this the one from craigslist? wondering who picked it up.
I'm out in the valley and have lots of parts
also you can check in here at the local TLCA clubhouse:

Welcome to Mud.

Likely a Muncie 4-speed (SM420 or SM465) adapter in front of a pre-April '75 transfer case. This set-up would require moving the frame crossmember behind the emergency brake drum. F or 2F, they both are the same, regarding transmissions, but the bellhousings are different.

There is an engine number in the region of the block by the starter.

There is a transfer case date stamped under that greasy mud on the passenger side of the other transfer case photo - it is likely the original 3-speed transmission mated to the original transfer case.

Last edited:
the engine in the frame is an F the engine on the floor is an F, the transfer case is hard to tell with an adaptor of some sort maybe to a V8?
the trans and transfer combo is a 3 speed with related transfer

is this the one from craigslist? wondering who picked it up.
I'm out in the valley and have lots of parts
also you can check in here at the local TLCA clubhouse:

Glad to hear there are some Montana Cruiser lovers. I will have to join the group! Yes, it's the one from Craigslist. Turns out it's missing a ton of body parts, but it seems to have enough engine and driveline parts to put it together to get it running. The motor in it, (the one on the floor in the pic) is the original and it's all torn apart with missing pieces. I'll post more photos of the 4-speed trans/transfer. Thanks for the help! Here's a couple more photos of the 4-speed?

pic4.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

Welcome to Mud.

Likely a Muncie 4-speed (SM420 or SM465) adapter in front of a pre-April '75 transfer case. This set-up would require moving the frame cross-member behind the emergency brake drum. F or 2F, they both are the same, regarding transmissions, but the bell-housings are different.

There is an engine number in the region of the block by the starter.

There is a transfer case date stamped under that greasy mud on the passenger side of the other transfer case photo - it is likely the original 3-speed transmission mated to the original transfer case.
I need to go to my storage unit and get photos of the other engine and bell housing. I will post after I go there. I'm trying to determine the path of least resistance forward. I have the stock 3 - speed steering column and trans/transfer and am totally up for using that, just don't know if it is possible (easy) to throw in the 4-speed. Which, sounds like I would have to move a frame member as well as cut a hole in the tunnel. Thanks so much for the help!

Looks like you’re off to a good start, helluva lot easier to do mechanical work rather than body work.

The above transmission is a (J30) 3-speed.
Well, if it's a 3 speed, I don't really gain anything by converting 3-on-the-tree to floor shifter except ease of use for folks that have a hard time shifting a 3-on-the-tree. Correct?

Measure the length of the 4-speed in the shed. The Muncie 4-speed is really nice for a granny gear. It is like a 3-speed for normal use, but it has a synchronizer on all the usual gears, unlike the 3-speed.

The first thing that you should do is inspect for rust, internally, in all these units. Especially with the top off, water enters thru the shift cane. My first 3-speed failed as a result of that.

I don't know why folks convert to floor shift, maybe the linkage wears out and gets sloppy? V8 conversion would be an other reason.

Measure the length of the 4-speed in the shed. The Muncie 4-speed is really nice for a granny gear. It is like a 3-speed for normal use, but it has a synchronizer on all the usual gears, unlike the 3-speed.

The first thing that you should do is inspect for rust, internally, in all these units. Especially with the top off, water enters thru the shift cane. My first 3-speed failed as a result of that.

I don't know why folks convert to floor shift, maybe the linkage wears out and gets sloppy? V8 conversion would be an other reason.
So I've been thinking and researching. I'm trying to make this thing go with what I have. If I take off the muncie adapter plate, and take the floor shift j30 off of the 3 speed vacuum TC then I could put the floor shift J30 on the (muncied with adapter plate taken off)4 speed TC? Then I would just have a direct manual shift 4W shift selector. And it would work correct? It's been suggested if I used that TC I would have to move the horizontal cross-member. Do you know about any of that or have any suggestions?

The two transfer cases are about the same length. It is the Toyota H42 4-speed, and probably the Muncie 4-speed that have trouble with the cross member on a LC 6-cylinder. I don't know if you can mate a J30 to a 4-speed TC. I do know that you can mate an early H42 to a J30-era transfer case with some modifications. It probably can be done because you have the '73 to April '75-looking transfer case.

There is a date stamped on the passenger side of the TC. Clean off all the black wax with a wire brush, just to confirm what your casting might be. Lets see some gear oil inside these boxes, just to make sure that they haven't rusted internally.

#2 TC .jpg
#1 TC.jpg
#2 TC open.jpg

Transfer Case #2 with ?Muncie plate? Date Oct 74 Transfer Case #1 with J30 3 speed Transmission TC #2 opened up, no rust, looks ok
#2 TC open Passenger.jpg

TC #2 passenger side, no rust, gears look ok

Can we see the back side of the bellhousing? Also, do you have driveshafts? Do they fit on either of the two transfer cases brake drum?

I'm assuming that everything behind the J30's output shaft will fit in the newer case. That would include the input gear, spacer, bearing. You will also replace the oil seal that keeps the two boxes properly filled. Also, you should replace the input seal of the front of the transmission. Also, make sure that rain didn't get in the transmission when the top was off-check for rust at some point.

I know that the H42 used a longer "shift shaft" than the one that goes with the "shift link lever" on the direct-shift J30 cases. The shift link lever is cast iron, so...

Hold up, help on the way.

@Living in the Past

Is there anything other than the direct-shift for 4wd fork-assembly needed from a late J30-transfer case that will be necessary to operate a '74 case direct on the floor mated to the J30? And, obviously, the direct shift linkage. Also, everything attached to the output shaft on the J30, including the bearing that supports the shaft. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom