Can you swap cluch fork sides? 4spd / 3 spd hybrid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yoda-g3

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I'm at the "putting together" phase of my 4spd tranny / 3spd tcase project and just noticed that the 4spd bellhousing I have has the clutch fork mounted on the passenger side. My existing slave cylinder is of course on the DS. Do I need to get a longer hose made, or can I salvage my 3spd bellhousing DS motor mount to mount the slave cylinder to and then swap the side the fork is on?

Just eyeballing it I can't tell for sure, and its a heavy sucker for a bunch of trial and error BS. :D

Thanks!

can I salvage my 3spd bellhousing DS motor mount to mount the slave cylinder to and then swap the side the fork is on?

Should work fine....that is what I did last year when I changed from the three-speed clutch and flywheel assembly to the four speed set up.

:beer:

Hi All:

X2 what Poser said; my '74 FJ40 has the clutch slave cylinder and shift fork on the left (driver's) side from the factory. Later models (a 1978, for example) has the slave cylinder/shift fork on the right (passenger's side) stock.

Good luck with the swap!

Alan

Yes. That part of the bellhousing is symmetrical.

Interesting but not well documented coincidence: The FJ55 ran their slave cylinders from the opposite side than the FJ40 for their entire production run. At the same point the 40 series moved from DS to PS, the 55 moved from PS TO DS! Go figure.;p

Best

Mark A.

Sweet! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom