Can you run a fj60 without power steering? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the other night I noticed fluid was pooring out of my pump. Previous owner said it was rebuilt and believe it (still had new stickers on it). Am not sure but it seems its coming out of the the shaft that hooks the pully plate on (the plate the belt goes on). if this is indeed where it is leaking, is this an easy fix? Can I run the cruiser without the pump?

thanks

Mark

yes and no.
i don't recall what else the ps belt runs.
i would'nt think that running the pump dry would be a good thing. so i'm thinking remove that belt, but make sure it's not running something important.....the waterpump would be considered by many to be important.

as far as driving with out ps. take her down the street, about 25 mph or so and kill the motor and jsut coast, then try to steer....is it possible...yes..is it easy....no.

some fj60's came with out PS...I dont know when or where, but if i recall, they did.

probably can, but i can tell you right now...it SUCKS!!!!

If you plan on running without the pump, remember to get your rig rolling before turning the wheel. Otherwise you'll need biceps like Arnie to turn it.

that won't even cut it....i'm not a wimp...ask anyone that knows me, but i was in the passenger seat trying to get the wheels to turn when i had a dead motor.

there is a difference between a powersteering box with no hoses hooked up, and a box that still has hoses hooked up and fluid in the system. I ran my FJ45 with an FJ60 box with no hoses hooked up and it was easy as any manual steering LC. with the hoses and fluid in the system yet no pressure, thats another story. Now you have to move the fluid inand out of the box, as well as turn. if youre going to drive it without a working pump, I would figure a way to disconnect the hoses and go from there.

The AC belt is just the right size to run on the two essential items - water pump and alternator. Remove all three belts, install the AC belt on the main pully, the alt and the waterpump, and your good to go. Biceps grow quickly. Higher tire pressure helps.

i have never had mine hooked up. I guess it would be hard for a girl or a guy that works in an office to drive a 60 with no power steering.

Bah! WIMPS!!! My truck doesn't have ps and I've got the heavy diesel

Better order up a bowflex guys :flipoff2:

The fluid is probably coming out of the front bolt that attaches the resevoir to the pump. Mine had the same problem. Many Toyota trucks used this same power steering pump, but they had a different size bolt on the front. I had the same problem. Hammer1 had a great thread on it this summer and helped me with mine. Easy fix, take the pully off and look at the bolt.

If your PS pump is leaking, its most likely spweing right down on the smog pump. From what I've heard this will sieze up the Smog pump.

Browser is correct, you may need to replace that bolt, but it seems wierd that it wasn't leaking from the beginning if that was the problem. I bit the bullet and got a new OEM one from CDan ($309.00) and I don't regret it.
Bryan

cruiserbrett said:
there is a difference between a powersteering box with no hoses hooked up, and a box that still has hoses hooked up and fluid in the system. I ran my FJ45 with an FJ60 box with no hoses hooked up and it was easy as any manual steering LC. with the hoses and fluid in the system yet no pressure, thats another story. Now you have to move the fluid inand out of the box, as well as turn. if youre going to drive it without a working pump, I would figure a way to disconnect the hoses and go from there.
Just hook them together with a straight barb connector?

I drove mine for about 2 weeks with no PS, running 36x15.50s. it wasn't a whol elot of fun, but it wasn't impossible either. YYes, the fluid will screw with the smog pump!

so, I can run a fj 40 with a 60 series power steering box, with out power steering if I disconnect the hoses?
should gearoil be poured into the box then?

Id like to run non power steering with a 60 series style box.

1. PS steering box has different ratio that non-PS box. PS box with no PS pump means steering at low speed requires MUCH more effort. Once you're up and rolling anywhere over about 15mph it's fine. IMO, 60 without PS is not fun. I ran sans PS for 3 months while assembling parts for Saginaw pump swap.

2. IIRC, 60 and 40 steering boxes are nothing alike. 40 box mounts "sideways", uses an arm parallel to the frame to turn the pitman. Pitman mounts direct to 60 box. Don't think they're interchangeable.

The AC belt is just the right size to run on the two essential items - water pump and alternator. Remove all three belts, install the AC belt on the main pully, the alt and the waterpump, and your good to go. Biceps grow quickly. Higher tire pressure helps.

This works. Blew my pump years ago in Moab. Did the belt swap trick and drove back to Denver.

Same here - A number of years ago while cruising @ 75 mph PS fluid seized the smog pump and ZAP went the belt. I was on the shoulder of I-25 north of Las Cruces for about 1/2 hour or less once I figured out the AC belt would do the job. Bought a new belt in Socorro but didn't bother to put it on until the next day after I got home, 150 miles later. One of the good things to know when out in the middle of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom