Can you replace the bearing in a smog pump on a 60? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It sounds like the bearing is going out on my smog pump and I was wondering if the bearing can be R&Rd rather than repacing the whole unit?

I could loosen the belt a little more, but I'm hesitent because the water pump runs off the same belt and I dont want it slipping.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Toad

Slack off the belt to the point just before it squeals. That's where I run mine, tight enough to do the job but slack enough to ensure the bearings don't wear prematurely. You can likely re and re bearings if you can find them (I have not done a smog pump but I have done a power steering pump).

The parts microfiche doesn't show any bearings or rebuild kits available from toyota. However, when my truck failed smog, I put in one from Napa and sent my original to moto parts exchange for rebuilding. As far as I know, they replaced the bearings, installed new veins, etc.

beaufort-fj60 said:
i remember a old thread about replacing the bearings.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/smogpump.php

Thanks beaufort and Cruiser guy, and everyone else as well!
I'll start by slackin' off the belt a little and then I'll research the bearings for R&R.
If I end up going through the pump I'll post pics and info for everyone else.
Toad

the female just picked one up for her 83-60" series from napa for around 90 bucks. you'll want to keep your pulley as the napa part dosn't come with one, and $900.00 is is an average cost for new.it's a small price to pay, and with a waranty to boot.

it has been mentioned that some of the "autopart store" smog pumps are missing the vane pump whipers. this does not give you full air flow. you can take the pump apart and check.

vane might be the wrong word

stanley said:
it has been mentioned that some of the "autopart store" smog pumps are missing the vane pump whipers. this does not give you full air flow. you can take the pump apart and check.

vane might be the wrong word

Actually "whipers" is the wrong word, I think you meant wipers.

Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom