Can you rebuild a smog pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, so my soon to be wife has bought a 1982 fj60. She fell in love with the fj55 I grew up driving but my dad refuses to let it go for the time being so she upgraded a little and got a fj60. It came with a remanufactured PS pump that needed to be installed and when we went to put it in I found that the smog pump is frozen, most likely from the leaking ps pump. I really don't want to pay for a new Toyota smog pump and would like to stay away from a generic from auto zone or orilies and I can't seem to catch them in the parts for sale so my big question is how hard is it to rebuild one of these? I know it can be done since the generics are remans just not sure what parts I would need or the best way to go about it. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

There are a lot of threads on this topic. You can replace all the bearings, but there doesn't seem to be a source for the carbon veins.

Last edited:
There's a guy that will rebuild them for around $375. I was able to get a cardonne rebuilt one from an aisin core for $140ish from autozone online. I've been afraid to look inside though, to see if the graphite (? ) wipers are new, people on here have said they have been broken or haven't been replaced on the rebuilds they've gotten. But it was a lot better than the one I got used.

I might have my old one laying around. Let me know if you're interested.

Rebuildingfactory.com

New bearings. New Vanes.

Don't know what their current price is but last one was $275.

One of the bearings is Toyota proprietary and you won't be able to find it individually. Shop said they had to buy a thousand, or something like that.

You could prolly find a good used one, though.

They come up in the parts thread, I sold all the parts from my desmog for well under a hundred.

If you decide to take yours apart, be careful. It is real easy to break the carbon veins and virtually impossible to find replacements.

Thanks for all the input! I've seen quite a few smog pumps up for sale but they're always gone by the time I'm able to respond. Seems like waiting for a used one is prob my best option at this point, we'll see. Major nelson I sent you a pm

I've opened up one of my old frozen ones before, and have read the threads on the replacement bearings, but gave up and put a vatozone one in mine last year to pass AZ emissions. I would suggest that if you have any sort of leak in your PS pump that you fix that as well if you get a working smog pump. The OEM toyota bearing is not sealed and dripping PS fluid brings dirt and other crap into the bearing and smokes it

There are threads on replacing the toyota power steering with a different model pump that doesn't leak if you search the forum. Always glad to see another 60 in Tucson, have you made it out to any of the Copper Cruisers meets? Haven't been to one in a while, but hoping to start participating again this summer.

Glenn in Tucson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom