Can you put a 200 rack into a 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
Having owned three LC70's that are 35+ years old, I'm always in the habit of seeing what newer parts can be retrofitted in the older LC's. I happened to be looking at 100 series 03'+ steering racks and the possible substitution part is the 200 series rack. So, I take a look....

'03 LC100 rack
4425060100.jpg

LC200 rack
4420060170.jpg

It's tough to compare the pics because angle is different but what's obvious, the LC200 rack has (3) mounting points vs (2) on the 100. From my recollection, there "might" be enough room on the 100 crossmember to add that third mount. (no more premature bushing wear). I can also tell you the two front mounting bolts are the same between the two racks.

So, the BIG question is: what is the mounting bolt spacing on the LC200 rack? And is it the same as the 100? Anybody have both and can measure?

If the same, then I'll have a few more questions. ;)
It's only a matter of time before the 100 racks are NLA new. This would be a great upgrade and ensure new racks for years to come.

Having owned three LC70's that are 35+ years old, I'm always in the habit of seeing what newer parts can be retrofitted in the older LC's. I happened to be looking at 100 series 03'+ steering racks and the possible substitution part is the 200 series rack. So, I take a look....

'03 LC100 rack
4425060100.jpg

LC200 rack
4420060170.jpg

It's tough to compare the pics because angle is different but what's obvious, the LC200 rack has (3) mounting points vs (2) on the 100. From my recollection, there "might" be enough room on the 100 crossmember to add that third mount. (no more premature bushing wear). I can also tell you the two front mounting bolts are the same between the two racks.

So, the BIG question is: what is the mounting bolt spacing on the LC200 rack? And is it the same as the 100? Anybody have both and can measure?

If the same, then I'll have a few more questions. ;)
It's only a matter of time before the 100 racks are NLA new. This would be a great upgrade and ensure new racks for years to come.
I have no idea, but like the idea of a 3rd mounting point and think it would reduce movement as bushings age.

I think the internals are 99% same. Do we have any resources wherein we can compare the eye-to-eye measurements of the front mounting? Yes I agree that third (rear) mount can definitely help secure the rack to reduce movement or less strain on the existing two front mounts. We can maybe fabricate a frame mount for the third.

Is the steering ratio the same? I can find the spec online for the 100 rack (19.8:1) but not for the 200.

Is the steering ratio the same? I can find the spec online for the 100 rack (19.8:1) but not for the 200.

I just searched "2008 toyota land cruiser steering ratio" and google says 16.7:1.

Reactions: GTV
You and I think alike. I'd take an LS over the 3UZ, but the turbo 3.5 is awesome.
I mean we’re getting the Tundra so it’s not a complete pipe dream to do that swap.

I'm more interested in putting a 200 engine into a 100 body. Best of both worlds...
Unfortunately, the 200 has the transfer case on the LHS, drivers side for us. The front driveshaft/differential will be an issue unless you were SAS'ing it with a non-LC axle. Fuel tank will be in the way. The 200 has a center drop rear diff and the 100 has a DS drop. Would probably be easier, cheaper and a better final product to find a wrecked 200 and swap the 100 body on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom