Can you powdercoat over poawdercoat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I guess the title says what I want. But, here's what I'm trying to do. I bought a new Tuffy center console in black but my 60's interior is brown....I want to have the console powdercoated to match, a dark brown. I looked at the brown console that Tuffy has and from I could see it doesn't match at all.

So is it possible to coat over it or does it have to sandblasted and then re powdercoated?

The powder is applied electrostatically, so it needs to be bare metal

The powder is applied electrostatically, so it needs to be bare metal

I believe that doing multiple coats of powdercoat is common. In my research I have seen people who will put a clear layer of powdercoat over another layer. But that's just research I've done on powdercoat specific forums. Maybe its wrong :meh:

We have parts at work that were recoated after a fabrication error by our supplier. I know they didn't take the whole part down to bare metal.

I think getting a good ground on the part is the most important part of multiple coats.

I was under the impression that everything needed to be media blasted to bare metal in order to electrostaticly attract the powder...I wonder if color and clear are applied at the same time prior to the bake...

I've seen powder coater's do repairs do chip repairs with powder and a heat gun. Heat it up till it flows and let it cool and you could never tell.

Last time I was getting something PC'd, they were doing a second coat on a frame that was to be mirror smooth. Never saw the final product, so it done.

Doug

I found a brown spray paint that I used on my black tuffy to make it "match" the interior. Looks fine, but my standards might be different than yours. I also took the top pad to an upholstery place and had them recover it in a brown fabric. It was only $30, and looks way better than the original black pad.

you can powder over powder. Most Gema or Nordson spray guns will have a recoat setting. it lowers the KVs to try and improve the powder sticking but it hurts the transfer efficiency.

Make sure that they prep it as they would any other coating. It needs to be sanded.

The other (and perhaps cheaper option) is to just have it liquid coated and use the existing powder as a "primer" Scuff it up and spray your favorite liquid 2K top coat.

Remember, liquid and powder can contain the same resins, color etc. It's the prep and the bake that accelerate the powders properties. Liquid, when applied properly, can out perform powder.

I am doing this also right now. Anyone find a good color match to the interior brown?

I have found that if you powder over paint sometimes it will melt under the pc in the oven and "curdle" the finish. Ive seen minute amounts of paint in nicks and chips that isnt removed cause an imperfection..

Then again im no expert and honestly for a console id go to the hardware store and find a matching brown. If you dont find one you like get a couple spray cans mixed custom at a paint place then just clear over that.

D

I am doing this also right now. Anyone find a good color match to the interior brown?

I'm about to embark on painting over a tuffy myself. For rattlecan paint it appears as though Rustoleum Satin brand, color Dark Brown is a pretty good color match. I painted a test plastic piece and it's realy close. I'm a paint noobie so know nothing about any of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom