Can you mount a 2F fuel pump on a 3FE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to do a 3FE swap on my FJ40, and I was thinking that the easiest/best way to run the fuel pump would be with a mechanical fuel pump connected to the tank, pumping into a small vertical tank. Then have an output at the bottom of that to the electric pump.

The return lines would be plumbed into the vertical tank.

The reason I want to do it this way is because the CCOT poly tank I have likes to crap out on my when I turn left too hard, or lean over to the right too far. A small vertical tank wouldn't have that problem, and should give the electrical pump plenty of fuel until the mechanical pump reprimes.

So would a 2F fuel pump fit on a 3FE?

pretty sure it will fit as there was a 3f carbed version.........also pretty sure it won't work if your keeping the fuel injection. I don't think any FI cars use a mechanical pump, it needs MUCH higher PSI to run a FI then a carb

Read my post again :flipoff2:

I'm talking about using a mechanical pump to feed a small tank hanging off the firewall. The electric pump will be fed from that.

I got the idea from a guy who injected his F.

Won't the mechanical pump pump gas into the tank slower than the injection pump will suck it out? That means that your tank will be dry sooner than Paris Hilton after a night out!

I like the idea though. Maybe it will work. We won't know until you try it!

:beer:

You might be over my head. But I would stick with the 3fe pump only. Why run 2 pumps and risk 1 failing/not keeping up with the other? Or will the be running at different times? (similar to 2 fuel tanks? B/C presures are certainly going ot be different. Just seems like more of an issue than just running a stock system?

I don't imagine that a 3FE would use fuel faster than a carb'd 2F.

The return line from the fuel rail would go back into the little tank. So any unused fuel goes there. Near the top of the little tank will be another nipple, going to the return line on the regular tank.

The electric pump will basically pump a loop between the little tank and fuel rail.

I would rather run the 2 pump system because, like I said, it gives me an extra measure of security against odd angles. If I used a 12" long chunk of 3" pipe for a tank, it should hold enough fuel for at least a couple minutes at a weird angle.

It should work Kyle. The 3FE has the same camshaft (it has the fuel pump lobe) unless my memory and immagination have gotten together to play tricks on me as I sit at the keyboard, the block has the port for mounting the fuel pump.

Using a delivery pump and a second high pressure pump is not a new idea. There are rigs out there that use that approach from the factory.

The reason that Kyle can't "stick with a 3FE pump" is because that pump is in the tank... Of the FJ62 that the engine came out of...

There is no worry of the mechanical pump not being able to supply the fuel that the engine needs. A 4.0 liter injected engine with the same camshaft and basic design as a 4.2 liter carbed engine is gonna use about the same amont of fuel. A little less usually.

Mark...

Mark W said:
The 3FE has the same camshaft (it has the fuel pump lobe) unless my memory and immagination have gotten together to play tricks on me as I sit at the keyboard, the block has the port for mounting the fuel pump.

Yeah, that's correct, the port is there.

The port should be there because the 3F and 2F blocks are basically the same, right? If you can swap heads between the two engines, then the blocks should be the same, at least in theory.

Essentially you are wanting to add a surge tank... there are many who have done this for the same reasons you cited... I want to do one too (my LongRange runs dry @ 1/2 on bad tilts). Andre (dieselcruiserhead) added a surge tank on his diesel, seems to work fine (same idea anyways).

There was a company (Bronco albeit) that sold the complete kits a while back...

yes, as well the 3F version has carbed, so I am sure it will fit/bolt up to the block.

GLTHFJ60 said:
The port should be there because the 3F and 2F blocks are basically the same, right? If you can swap heads between the two engines, then the blocks should be the same, at least in theory.

I just chatted with the referee about this...

It looks like I have to keep the fuel pump for the rig the engine came out of, since it's considered an emissions component.

I've got him looking up whether there's a precedent for running 1 cat on a 3FE, or if I'm going to be stuck with the 2 converter setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom