can you help me with truck value....thnx (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, been a 40 guy my whole life, opened up a clients garage and they own a 1994 Lexus LX470, mint condition with 81,000 original miles.....what would one expect to pay and what would its value be in resale? not looking to turn the truck over, but been looking to start another build with coils and kinda always liked the look of a properly built utilitarian 80....thanks.....oh, no diff lock, i honestly looked at it for a few minutes and didnt even open the hood, whats the power plant?

LX450? I would give it a thorough look over, document anything wrong with it and go to Kelly Blue Book online and use the private party sale function. It's a good tool to see how much the owner would find out it was worth if that makes any sense.

And 470 would be equivalent of a 100 series produced 98-2007

The Lx-450/Fzj-80 "power plant" lol is the 4.5l straight six. The big cousin to your 40s 2f. Not fast but it'll last for many many miles.

Hard to say without much most info but sounds like could be a 7-10k rig. I'd be trying to buy it for 6 :D

ok....update info.......its a 1996 LX450, 81,000 miles excellent to mint condition, original owner, garaged since birth, has been complete Toyota dealer maintained. Whats the value? Thanks guys

Your location (which i cant see) will play a role in price. Pnw cruisers are high. Midwest not so much. Still vote 8-10k. 12 would be a premium. Worth it some. Not to others.

My brother payed 12.8 in 2005 for a one owner 89k mile garaged rig in great shape for reference. Only thing this one really has is the same low mileage ten years later. Rubber hoses still age so pm will still be pertinent; just not in as dire need I'd imagine

It's rather ironic that everyone wants low mileage, but follows it up with all your hoses and gaskets are prolly shot and it will last forever after base lining.

The difference is the one with 80K and 160K is that they both will run forever, and need all the hoses and most gaskets changed, and the later costs double what the former does. I guess the former has the savings upfront for when the HG goes.

Not sure how I would explain to :princess: that we just bought a truck for $12K that is 18 yrs old and it needs a $4K head gasket then I need to put $6K in bumpers, tires, sliders, winches, roof rack, and lift.

That being said, can't wait to get a pole barn so I can add a 40 and maybe an old diesel rebuilt Kubota.

Gotta give us more Burnttoast. Pictures detailing under, inside and the engine would be a start. Is it stock?

With full service history you are undoubtedly going to pay more, but then again you know it was well maintained.

Bottom line, the average consumer buys "mileage" not "condition" - on eBay, the truck in question (without rust) would easily fetch over 10k. EASILY. That being said, I just paid $7,800.00 for a 2 owner, garage kept, zero stories 96 LX450 with just over 100k. I think I stole it, though...

In the real world, outside of these forums, people pay-up for low-mileage 80's. In contrast, we (super-crazy-obsessed Mud geeks) pay for ZERO rust, maintenance heavy rigs. 2 TOTALLY different buyers.

I'd offer 8k, not insulting, and, well worth it. If the truck has only light corrosion (assuming it's not a rust belt truck since your sig says CO.), you won't get hurt paying upwards of 10k.

Trucks of that vintage, with those miles, are becoming alarmingly difficult to source. Keep that in mind.

There were only 58,419 FZJ-80's sold in the US, I'd bet that about half of that number are running around today as Fair to Great condition.. (To give you an idea of the scale of that, the Jeep XJ Cherokee sold more than double that in one year of production). So FZJ-80's are rare and finding a good low milage one is even rarer.

Last edited:
I'd take a little oil sample and send it to Blackstone before I started talking money. In fact, next to rust issues and maintenance records, I would place most of my interest there.

here are some pics....100% zero rust or dents, interior has no cracks, stains, tears or rips.......my only complaint is it is very slow, like sloth slow......what is average real time mpg in these? Just a thought to non-purists, if i were to pull entire drive-train, whats the value? Engine bay looks large enough for 5.9. comments, thoughts rants? hit me

20141111_100911.jpg

20141111_100924.jpg

20141111_100941.jpg

20141111_101142.jpg

20141111_101201.jpg

If you doing engine swap get one that has blown HG or zillion miles.
Don't take this nice example and cut it up.
Just my .02$

Sloth slow sounds about right. I wouldn't expect more than 12-14 mpg max....

If you doing engine swap get one that has blown HG or zillion miles.
Don't take this nice example and cut it up.
Just my .02$

Agreed Hornd......the only problem with high miles trucks are the interior are usually worse and uncared for as the exterior....I recently completed a many year resto on my FJ40 and between the 48k plus invested, i dont want to drag it out by reno-ing the interior, and every single bolt removed, hence starting out with a mint rig from the git go.....my 40 took Moab Car Show Peoples Choice in over 500 other vehicles, so my taste and fab work is carefully planned out.....

Any who, upon further investigation, the 24v 5.9 intercooler takes up a little too much room, so im told, so another plant may take its place.......this is just a plan that will fiddle around my head, for down the road anyway, might just stick with all oem. I just replaced my 40's Ramjet 350 with a crate 480 hp 376 Vette power plant, that would be another choice should i decide to go with gasoline over diesel..

tree fiddy fo sho.

In all seriousness, an unmolested, stock, low mileage, mint condition 80 fair price for that is 10-12k. I would pay that. These trucks are nearly impossible to find with under 100k miles and in stock clean shape.

Also, I don't see much resale value for this unless you can get it for like 7k. In my estimation, there aren't a lot of people in the market for trucks this old in great condition unless they have extensive mods in plan for them.

OK......COOL. thanx for all the info, this has helped me with my decision

You take that Beautiful 40 Crawling or just to Shows?
Beautiful Truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom