Can you guys help my dumba$$ understand this wiring diagram? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DangerNoodle

Essentially a fire wielding monkey.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
It's a well-known fact that I hate anything to do with the angry pixies that run around in wires, mostly because I get shocked when I chew on them. Jokes aside, the time has come for me to start working on my wiring harness, and I got this cool little fused relay box to help. ssVEC Power Distribution Module, Weathertight, 200A | Wayek Wire - https://www.waytekwire.com/item/46055/EATON-s-Bussmann-Series-31S-000-0-ssVEC/

Unfortunately, I don't read engineer, and I especially don't read EE. The relay box came with this diagram that is attached. I've figured out some of it, but I have not figured out how to wire up the relays. Can anyone help this ape out, please?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 46055_a.pdf
    231.2 KB · Views: 249
Standard Bosch relay.

1612498810118.png

There isn't anything special about that box (with respect to wiring). Same as any other automotive relays it would appear.

See if this helps you out..

That schematic that you posted @DangerNoodle looks like it was drawn up by a high school freshman. Unless I'm totally missing something it doesn't make sense to me, and I'm somewhat skilled at deciphering electrical schematics.

That schematic that you posted @DangerNoodle looks like it was drawn up by a high school freshman. Unless I'm totally missing something it doesn't make sense to me, and I'm somewhat skilled at deciphering electrical schematics.

I have no clue what I'm looking at to start with, but that is the supplied instructions that came with this thing. I'm mainly trying to figure out what the input and outputs are for the relays.

Main power appears to be applied to the 2 main M8 studs, 5S and 6S

All the relays get their power from that.

The switched side of the relays,
87A is normally closed
87 is normally open

I'll help out more tomorrow, I'm hitting the sack now.

Refer to the diagram in post #2. Terminal 30 is load common (positive). Terminal 87a is NC output. Terminal 87 is NO output. Terminal 86 is relay coil positive and terminal 85 is relay coil negative.

My dad just put that same Eaton panel into his track car. Like the others said they're just regular normally-open relays, nothing special
Edit, looking twice it looks like yours has all 5-pin relays where his are all 4-pin. So you can do normally open or normally closed. That's a neat option

This is my take on it, hopefully the instructions give you some guidance on wire and fuse sizing.

Connect 5S and 6S to 12v+ battery via appropriate size wires and fusible links (this is the main power for the loads - two feeds to four loads each)

Connect 3B to 12V+ via appropriate fuse and fusible link or a fuse in the fuse box (this is the "control Power" used to actuate the relays)

To actuate each relay, connect the 86 terminal (1D for Relay 1 for example) to ground via a switch.

Connect the 87 terminal for each relay to your load (1B for relay 1 for example). When you close the switch, the relay will actuate and supply power to your load.

Based on what I see you have a relay box that has 2 100 amp power supply lugs. Each supply lug will power 4 relays rated at 35 amps each but documentation states the output wires are restricted to 30 amp wiring. So this box will control/supply power to 8 30 amp circuits or devices. All the relays switching circuit grounds are connected via pin 3B in the Blue connector. Unless that pin is wired to ground none of the relays will function. With power connected to lugs 5 & 6 and a ground wire run to 3B it is as simple as connecting a switch wire to one of appropriate pins (E1, H1, E3, H3, H5, C5, H7, C8) and connecting a power wire between your device and the appropriate power pin (E2, H2, E4, H4, H6, C6, H8, C7). Depending on how you choose to wire your device you can ground locally or run the ground wire back to a common grounding block.

My guess is that the reason for the 2 power lugs is to allow you to divide your circuits if desired (half constant power, connected directly to the battery and switched power off the ignition and another relay).

Also be advised that once the box has power if a wire is connected to any of these pins (D2, G2, D4, G4, G6, D5, G8, D7) they will have power until the relay is triggered via the corresponding switch wire. Also remember not to exceed 100 amps per group of 4 relays. Other than that have at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom