can you fit 1970+ steering box in 1966 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi there

a guy has asked me if he can fit a later steering box to a 1966 FJ40, just at a glance it looks like you could but you would have to change the column. has anyone tied this and is it possible?

Giles

I put a 1971 into a 1962. 70+ is vague, if it is still the model where the entire steering column is part of the gear box then yes, you just need to make sure the frame mount is correct, the early ones were two bolts and a cap, and the later ones were 4 bolts directly to the gear box. At one point the number of splines change so early steering wheels will not fit on later gear boxes with columns. I got the gear box and steering wheel in a package from someone selling it. At some point, not sure which year the gear box and steering column were separated so putting in one of those will be a lot more work, and a ton of work if you have 3 on the tree.

you have to cut the colum and ad a bearing plus change the frame mount over to the late model style and a few other small mods to make it work .if it still has the colum shift then its going to be even harder good luck

thanks guys to be honest it sound more complicated than the guy wants to get involved in, he might just be better looking for a replacement box of asking an engineering firm to fix the box he has

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom