Can you drive into the Gold Lake 4x4 campground (NorCal) from the north (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Looking at google maps the road to the north of Gold Lake doesn't go through, but looking at the satellite images, it looks like it does go through. Anyone have any experience there?

I haven't been on that specific section of trail but by the looks of it on the satalite view, I would guess that it tapers down into a hiking trail before it reaches any other trail. The "Round Lake Loop Trail" points directly towards the PCT as shown on google maps.

The trails that lead out from the back of the campground head up and over a ridge so there are not a whole lot of trails that go from one side to the other. The snake lake trail looks like it comes the closest, but I didn't see a connection anwyhere.

On a side note, there should be snow back there pretty late this year; I was in the area 5/17-5/19 and there was still at least 3-4ft of snow on the Gold Lake Hwy! It was only plowed up to Salmon Lake.

I’ve heard that you can get there from Johnsville but the trail gets real skinny and best for small rigs. Never tried myself.

Thanks. I may give it a try, see how far it gets.

Not sure if you made the trip yet, but i heard there might still be a bunch of snow around Gold Lake. The ranger station will have more info on conditions.

Beckwourth Ranger District
Blairsden, CA 96103
Tel: (530) 836-2575

Not yet - it will be the end of July early August

You can enter the trail system from Johnsville. It's a long dirt road before it drops down to the Gold Valley 4x4 trail. From Gold Valley you can head up to the Snake Lake/Little Deer lake 4x4 trails or continue South and back up the mountain towards Summit lake and down to Gold Lake. Snake and little Deer also both lead to Summit lake but are tougher Trails.
I have run all these trails in both an 80 series and a 40 series without any major issues.

Thanks - exactly what I wanted to know.

69 vortex pretty much covered it. Just a few notes. Snake lake is more fun clockwise. Check out the fire lookout while you are there. I have driven into gold lake the “normal way” and exited down that windy switchback shelf road to get back to the highway. In an 80 series with kayaks on roof racks.

Thanks, I'm hoping to attempt this in a couple of weeks.

Curious is if everything is melted enough. Trails are not well published. At times you are wheeling parallel and crisscrossing the PCT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom