Can you break axles with 34" tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I figure this question has already been raised so I did search of the forum. I didn't find any threads with this question, but please lead me to the right place if I missed it.

I'm running a partially built Cummins 12v, NV4500, HF2AV t-case w/ overdrive gears, factory lockers, and 34" tires. I have a heavy foot and like to go. I do plan to tow, but not crazy weight. Has anyone ever broken a front or rear axle with 34" or 35" tires? It seems I don't need to worry about breaking axles unless I go to 37's, but with the added weight and torque I didn't know if I needed to be concerned at my current tire size.

I would say yes. You can definitely break axles with that Cummins and 34’s. Especially be careful with the rear factory locker as you can twist the splines making removal of the shaft a nightmare. Have fun with the diesel but watch that right foot.

I would say yes. You can definitely break axles with that Cummins and 34’s. Especially be careful with the rear factory locker as you can twist the splines making removal of the shaft a nightmare. Have fun with the diesel but watch that right foot.

Thanks Pig Punisher. Can a spline twist with a ARB or Harrup locker?

The ARB setup is definitely stronger. There are some threads on here about the design of the factory rear locked axle. There is a coupler that the shaft splines into and if your splines twist I the coupler it’s torch time. Can’t get the shaft out. Can’t remove the third. Nothing.

Oh yeah, esp with that diesel TQ.

I’d be mindful of that motor esp when you lock that e-locker rear, but hey - I bent the FR axle shell, and it’s not too tough to do.

(hindsight I’d have had my passenger spot a drop that sucked my PS tire in, sudden stop from <10mph)

To its’ credit, you can run on a bent axle for quite a bit with a grease/diff oil slurry in the 3rd :oops: - I added grease b/c it bent bad enough to drop diff fuild alone via the 3rd member gasket.

Oh yeah, esp with that diesel TQ.

I’d be mindful of that motor esp when you lock that e-locker rear, but hey - I bent the FR axle shell, and it’s not too tough to do.

(hindsight I’d have had my passenger spot a drop that sucked my PS tire in, sudden stop from <10mph)

To its’ credit, you can run on a bent axle for quite a bit with a grease/diff oil slurry in the 3rd :oops: - I added grease b/c it bent bad enough to drop diff fuild alone via the 3rd member gasket.
Damn that’s impressive, you definitely use your 4x4 truck correctly. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom