Can we go tubeless? Dunlop SP Qualifier 7.5 r16 mystery (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for this thread. I didn't even know it was an issue. I bought 10 new SP Qualifiers from a salvage yard in Sharjah without being aware it might be an issue. Fortunately they were the tubeless type. Learn something new every day.

I think running these tires is a matter of opinion, but I decided that they were not for me. I did not want to mount a tube tire on a tubeless setup. I also found my original split wheels to be difficult to deal with. The tubes and liners were not easy to find locally. The truck shops all wanted to charge $35 per tire to uninstall and reinstall. I could run the spacers, but added failure point potential was not appealing to me. I am sure for most it is fine, but I didn't need the added risk.

I ended up returning the Dunlop Qualifier wheels and tires to Cruiser Parts. They tried to charge me a restocking fee, even though what I ordered was just the tires. I disputed the charge with the credit card company and they decided in my favor.

I would not recommend this wheel/tire setup unless you can stomach the spacers (and find them). The wheel/tires are nice looking for sure, and are basically new from 2018, but what are you going to do when you get one flat tire? Wait around for a few days for tubes and a liner? Have them ship you another wheel/tire? I don't know, it's too involved for my tastes....

So instead I will keep running the tubeless wheel and the BFG KO2s ATs which are great

I realize this thread is about running tube-type tires on standard rims, but a bit of personal experience: Years ago I succumbed to the "romance" of split rims and tubed tires on my FJ40, when I was leading sea kayaking tours in Mexico and accessing remote desert beaches. It was cool to be able to break down a tire and rim to repair a puncture. Clients were impressed . . . the first time. After a while the novelty wore off, and the 20-minute, sweat-intensive procedure to repair a simple nail hole grew tiresome. Plus, split rims are heavy—the diminution in ride was obvious. I went back to standard rims and now carry a Tyreplier and an Extreme Outback Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit. Nail holes take two minutes to plug, max, and if need be (for a sidewall split) I can break the bead with the Tyreplier and fix anything short of a shredded blowout.

Most of the vehicles we use in Kenya and Tanzania still have split rims—but they're also shod with ten-ply-rated bias-ply tires that laugh at thorns. And in most parts of Africa nails and screws are too valuable to be left lying in roads. So we get very few punctures.
tough tire 2.JPG

I like the note , screws and nails are to valuable to be left on the streets .
Very true.
It is interesting to see the different views on the same topic , from differente areas of the globe.
I fully agree with you .

Split rims are for owners who have others to change them, big miners, petrochemical, military etc

I ran 7.50 r16 bias ply tires (tube type) mounted on factory 70 series non-split steel wheels for 3 years on a BJ42 with no issues.

Split rims are for owners who have others to change them, big miners, petrochemical, military etc
Or expats with access to cheap labor; helps that they see them everyday.

Or expats with access to cheap labor; helps that they see them everyday.
Or for someone (everyone) with access to CHEAP, brand new, already mounted and balanced tire/rim combo.
Carry a spare.
Puncture? Throw it away! Put spare on. Replace spare with new.

Buy them by the dozen and save on shipping!

I'm not too sure about your issues but :
- My local garage handles the tires on my split rims like any other rims for no extra cost (free for the tires I bought through them...).
- I don't get punctures often (more likely to shred my sidewall on a rock).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll chime in... I love these tube vs. non-tube, split vs. solid wheel discussions. A lot of preconceived ideas out there. @Jonathan Hanson nailed it with his assessment.

In the Middle East, for work trucks, they were the default. Tire shops didn't bat an eye working on Toyota splits. I've been driving my 40 on splits with tube-tires since the day I bought it. I bought new splits for my 40 when I restored it. If you get a puncture... you do the same thing as anyone else. Change the tire out with the spare and get the puncture repaired.

Modern DIY, on the trail puncture repair has come a long way. And it's faster to trail repair a punctured tubeless for sure... you may not even change it out for spare. I've disassembled a set of the splits and while it's cool that you can self-service your tires, it's a lot of work. Hard to reconcile that with modern puncture repair.

But tubed tires and Toyota split rims aren't gonna randomly come apart... they aren't gonna kill you when you disassemble them... and they are just as usable on road and off road as a tubed tire and wheel. Depending on your geography and tire-service options, either one may make sense. I put steel wheels and tubeless on my Troopy... my 40 is still rolling splits here in the USA. The 40 has been out in the desert of the UAE a bunch and seen multiple trails here in AZ. I air down and back up just like any other set of tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom