Can U ID my new hood vents? pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
After some research on MUD, I finally got additional relief for the heat my Supercharger generates here in the AZ summer. Now after the JDF fan and the blue fan clutch mod, I ran cool and fine. BUT, I like the idea of additional help via the venting. Wanting to locate between the hood supports, I settled on these vents that fit well and even have the angle for the diagonal rear support. Can anyone ID what theyre off of? ;)
1vent.jpg
2vent.jpg

100 series d-pillar vents?

X2 on the 100 series d-pillar??

Have you thought about making an intercooler?

Yes, it was too easy - you guys have a sharp eye. And also, yes, I would like to look into an intercooler - time to start surfing the search function. Nicolas, are you running an intercooler?

I am looking into an intercooler. I have a WRX scoop like Blarsen's setup, but I need some more exact measurements before I pull the trigger since there isn't a whole lot of room in there and I don't have a lot of extra funds to experiment with.

I have seen some small intercoolers on ebay w/ 3" in/out that might work. I have also seen some tight radius elbows on there that could be welded together. I might ask Bret if I can stop by and take a closer look at it when I am visiting my folks in UT in December.

I have noticed in this cool fall weather that the S/C and the intake runner doesn't get hot at all when I am running it pretty hard. I'm sure the IC would help on extended runs though.

I have thought about putting on the hood scoop before I get around to installing the Intercooler to help cool the engine bay, but I'm not sure what negative effects that might have.

I also don't know good it would be to have water soaking the engine and EGR compoenets before I get the intercooler in place.

Funds? Oh yeah....that too. I'll tell ya ~ I wonder if TRD were to design the LC 4.5 Supercharger today, it would be different I believe. Gotta give them credit though, theyve learned along the way. I say that because in the last month my shop has installed the new 5.7 supercharger on a Tundra and the new SC in a 08 4.0 Fj cruiser. The 5.7 has a seperate electric water pump, gorgeous aluminum radiator, high flow injectors, cooler irridium plugs, etc.

It costs $$$ but still a technological work of art. So....theyve come to the conclusion that intercooled SCs are what to build now. Cool air = performance. :clap:Oh well, Ill keep an eye open in the ever informative forums here on Mud. If you take the dive , drop me a note.

Funds? Oh yeah....that too. I'll tell ya ~ I wonder if TRD were to design the LC 4.5 Supercharger today, it would be different I believe. Gotta give them credit though, theyve learned along the way. I say that because in the last month my shop has installed the new 5.7 supercharger on a Tundra and the new SC in a 08 4.0 Fj cruiser. The 5.7 has a seperate electric water pump, gorgeous aluminum radiator, high flow injectors, cooler irridium plugs, etc.

It costs $$$ but still a technological work of art. So....theyve come to the conclusion that intercooled SCs are what to build now. Cool air = performance. :clap:Oh well, Ill keep an eye open in the ever informative forums here on Mud. If you take the dive , drop me a note.

TRD has come a long way in their s/c designs. IMHO the 1FZFE S/C for the 80 series looks like it was made in the 80's. But it does its job well for an out of the box S/C and I am satisfied with its results so far.

I will definitely post when I ultimately decide what to do. Decisions decisions.

Nice work on the hood vents though. How much did it cost for the pair and where did you source them?

Can you post an underside pic?

Last edited:
now the underside

Heres the underside. I got the vents throught the dealer and they were not that expensive. The thing that I liked about these vents for this project is that they have built in studs that we were able to fashion some aluminum brackets to bolt them down. Handy!

The only thing ,as you can see, that I have left to do is to dress/edge the cut hood liner. I dont think an adhesive tape would stick for very long on the liner material. Any ideas or suggestions out there?
1ventclip.jpg

very nice. How do you match the paint - take it to a body shop or DIY?

thanks, a friend at the body shop...he made it come out factory looking.

Looks very good, job well done!

Nicholas
I know that I am a slacker for not getting you the measurements you need... my bad :eek:.. How about when you are in Utah in December to see your folks you stop by and take a look and you can even take it for a drive and see if you can feel a difference..
You never know you may be able to talk me into helping you with a pipe to connect your SC to your Intercooler???
later
Bret

Nicholas
I know that I am a slacker for not getting you the measurements you need... my bad :eek:.. How about when you are in Utah in December to see your folks you stop by and take a look and you can even take it for a drive and see if you can feel a difference..
You never know you may be able to talk me into helping you with a pipe to connect your SC to your Intercooler???
later
Bret

No problem Brett, I have been too busy with exams to do any wrenching anyway. That would be awesome if I could stop by in Dec. The :princess: has an aunt in Alpine that she wants to visit. I told her if we go all the way down there to visit them, then its only fair to visit part of the mud family.

I have been looking at these tight radius elbows. I can get two of them in a 3", do you think they would work?

eBay Motors: Polished Cast Aluminum Turbo Elbow Tight Radius 3.5" (item 150295014030 end time Nov-14-08 08:08:47 PST)

Back to the OP. Thanks for the under hood pics. Those vents really turned out great and they look like a good option for those that don't have a company that does louvers locally.

how much do those vents cost? (if you dont mind sharing)
i am looking into some vents at this time also.

Nicholas
the elbows look like they would work, you may need to trim them, but no way to know until your under the hood with your intercooler. I live in North Pleasant Grove and could hit Alpine with a rock... about 3 min away...
Bret

Reviving an old thread now that the weather is getting warmer...

Just wondering how well these vents worked out for you? Also, can you detail the brackets you made more? :cheers:

Reviving an old thread now that the weather is getting warmer...

Just wondering how well these vents worked out for you? Also, can you detail the brackets you made more? :cheers:

The temp here in Phx has been around 100 for the last couple of weeks and the hot air rising out of the vents are enough to keep a piece of light yarn tied to the vent dancing around. Unfortunately, I did not done do any before temp ratings so I wont have a baseline to measure from. Its obviously evacuating heat from the engine compartment effectively though, my hood cools down alot faster than before when the heat was trapped and kept the hood toasty for a long time.

To answer the price question, I think the D-pillar vents were around $40 bucks each(?) What I liked about these were that there were 2 threaded studs on each end of the vent that made for easy attachment points. The brackets were made from simple 1/2 inch aluminum stock that was bent, drilled for the studs to protrude and nutted down. Actually it was easier than first appeared!

I'm thinking about going this route myself. It looks like it from the pics., but would like to make sure - do the vents pull flat against the hood on all edges when you snug them down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom