Can this roof be saved? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.inditravel.org
I have this 40 roof with a lot of small cracks. I was hoping it only was the outer paint that was cracked, but after trying to grind it they dont seem to disappear. I have not grinded trough the top coat into the glass fiber yet.
My plan was to coat it with epoxy primer and then a top coat of polyurethane.
But is it possible to get rid of these cracks by grinding more?

Different stages of grinding:
IMG_9718.JPG
IMG_9720.JPG
IMG_9722.JPG

Mine was like yours, I went to the back side laid down to layers of mating and fiberglass on the cracked areas. Then went to the front and ground out the cracked areas down to my new fiberglass I had laid in. Then I just filled it in with new glass . Sanding and filling till it looked right. Lasted 20 years now.

My 77 is similar--thanks to Suntreemcanic for the info

Mine was like yours, I went to the back side laid down to layers of mating and fiberglass on the cracked areas. Then went to the front and ground out the cracked areas down to my new fiberglass I had laid in. Then I just filled it in with new glass . Sanding and filling till it looked right. Lasted 20 years now.
Yep. I agree. Mine was worse as well. I hit it with the top sander to roughen up the bite. Flipped it upside down and scraped and sanded all the foam off the bottom, being careful not to inflict more damage. Cleaned it a few times with lacquer thinner and acetone and started laying chop and overlapping layers of cloth and resin to the inside, as well as a layer outside once flipped, followed with gelcoat on the outside. It weighs more now but it is extremely stout. Lots of fiberglass info on the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom