Can this head be repaired or do I need a new one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_4998.JPG
Bought a 85 2F from a mud member and found this after tearing down the engine. Had a piece of sheet metal pinched down by a head bolt for the valve cover gasket surface.
Guess he did not think it was a big deal.....
Can this be repaired or do I need to find a new one?

Superficial, clean it up as best you can, maybe use some sealant in that area. Certainly no need for a new head.

That is where valve cover gasket seals. Mostly concerned about rocker arm oil splatter leaking out and making a mess and shouldn't affect operation. Still looks like a decent seal can be had. Different story if that was on the bottom where head gasket seals to the block.

Depends on how ambitious you are.
You could most likely get away with gooping it up with some extra sealer and have no problem but seeing as how you have the head off you could build it up with some ni-rod or have someone do it for you and then surface the area.
I would go with the later because I would know it is there and every time I drove it I would be thinking about the mickeymouse job I did with the goop wondering if it was holding.

Thanks for the reply's,
I'll find a shop that can weld it and resurface it. First time doing this so one of many lessons I'm sure I'll learn along the way. Bummed that the guy I bought it from did not tell me it was there. Thanks
Ken

JB weld would probably work well as a filler too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom