Can this be salvaged? (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My top looks pretty rough. Some of it is just moss that has grown after years of sitting. Other spots look like maybe paint flaking off but it's pretty thick. I can't really say what all is going on. Headliner is gone and underneath where it was looks nasty.

Question is can it be saved? What do I need to do to save it? Sand it down and repaint? What grit sand paper?

p6170062.jpg

p6170065.jpg

p6170066d.jpg

anything can be salvaged

do you have the time?
do you have the money?
do you have the talent?

I've got the time and the patience. Talent...well I don't know. I'll probably end up replacing the rain gutter. It has several spots rusted through.

Think 80 grit to get that old crusty stuff off then something finer to smooth it out?

Think 80 grit to get that old crusty stuff off then something finer to smooth it out?

80 grit on fiberglass seems a bit too agressive to me. I'd probably start with something like 150 grit and see how it does. Sand it, smooth it, rain gutter it, paint it, and headliner it. It'll look brand new!

Good luck!

:cheers:

Get a new raingutter installed. Mudder here sells them. Look for for SouthBostonFJ he sells a new one for 240. You can't go wrong with him.

:)

Start with Clorox and a Hudson sprayer. If you have spider cracks, glass it from the inside. It is made like a surfboard, glass-foam-glass. Get the organic s*** off and take more pics.

GL!

People have brought back tops in much worse condition than yours. " YOU CAN DOOO IT "!!!!!

I just refinished a top in this condition this weekend.

Items needed :
1) Sander from Mynards $30 one.
2) 50 grit first then 220 grit sandpaper
3) Primer it then wetsand with 400 grit then paint.

Its about 2 1/2 hours sanding per side. GL.

anything can be salvaged

do you have the time?
do you have the money?
do you have the talent?

Time?
up to you..

Money?
not that much. Some fiberglass to reseal cracks on both sides, sand it, epoxy primer, then paint on top, dealer's choice underneath. I'm going with Zolatone paint instead of a sagging headliner. I'm probably going to use Rustoleum Topside Boat paint for the top, and just brush or roller it on.. maybe spray. Most expensive part might be the gutter, if you need to replace that. I think someone here on Mud sells them.

Talent?
If I can do it... you can. I'm a total 1-:banana:

That said.. I haven't done mine yet. It's on my '71 truck and has been bare, exposed to the So Cal sun and elements for at least the last 5 years now. I really need to do this project... I'll post a thread when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom