Can the center link pivot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
thingy be adjusted on the vehicle? Should I have it rebuilt? Is it something I can do easily?
Any links that could assist me? I dont have a FSM and wont until my B day.

ETA I cant spell "center".

I think it can be tightened to some extent, and rebuild kits are available. I think Cruiser Corps carries the rebuild. Something you can do on your own, and rebuilds are relatively inexpensive.

Before you buy parts, take it apart, make sure it's not full of mud and crap, grease it, and tighten it to see what kind of shape it's in. Get a pickle fork ($10 at walmart or harbor freight) and take the tie rod ends and see what kind of play it has.

If it sucks, the rebuild kit isn't too much $$s. Some people (like me) probably have good used ones for sale too.

Ed

The PO rebuilt the steering except the center pivot thing, what is the correct name for that part?, and it is definitely sloppy.
I have the pickle fork that I used on my Corvette which is the smaller of the two sizes I saw.
The only thing that intimidates me from doing it myself is that I heard the word "preload" and all night I searched for it and learned tons of stuff about the heart.

Center Arm

hiya,

It's pretty easy to rebuild. The rebuild kit will have a new center part, bolt, spring, and top. The only thing you keep is the outer housing. The hardest part is pulling off the TRE's without buggering them up if you're going to reuse them. If After you get the center arm housing off & it's wobbly, you should rebuild it. best of Luck!
:beer: ty

coolcruisers.com has a center arm rebuild kit on sale for $48.73

I'd try lubing it and tightening it first. Back off the small bolt in the top several turns, tighten the big nutted top until tight, back off 1/4 turn then tighten the locking bolt on top. At least that's how I adjust mine.

Don't be scared of the word preload, I was hesitant about rebuilding my front axle because of that very word. Go get you a fishing scale and try it out. the only thing about "preload" is it sometimes means put together-take apart-put together-etc. Patience...and you will get practice at assembling what you are working on! Now the "P-word" is just another procedure. Once you have done it a couple of times its quite simple.

Go 4 it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom