Can Someone Explain: X US qts vs X Imp. qts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For fluid capacities, you always see "US qts" and then the equivalent "Imp. qts." What exactly does this mean?

TIA

We all use regular old U.S. quarts.
Only politicians and the president can use Imperial quarts.....oh and the Queen of England.

We all use regular old U.S. quarts.
Only politicians and the president can use Imperial quarts.....oh and the Queen of England.

Eh? Never heard anyone in the UK (and that includes little England) ever refer to quarts for a volumetric measure. Pints/gallons or litres.

That said, not really in the same social circles as old Liz!

the difference is compounded when you talk about Mpgs cuz they have Imperial miles too.
Ends up being a significant diff between US mpg and Imperial mpgs. Which explains why our Canadian friends tend to gloat about their diesel mileage more than they should, but of course, Canucks and Math, you know... :D

(I would hope that an imperial quart is still 1/4 of an imperial gallon, but who knows with those blokes...:))

Eh? Never heard anyone in the UK (and that includes little England) ever refer to quarts for a volumetric measure. Pints/gallons or litres.

That said, not really in the same social circles as old Liz!

I thought the really good UK :beer: was only sold in Gallons at the pubs...? Mere Pints? Not for real Brits... :) (And of course the Irish may opine that there is no real good British Beer, only good Irish ones... etc

the difference is compounded when you talk about Mpgs cuz they have Imperial miles too.
Ends up being a significant diff between US mpg and Imperial mpgs. Which explains why our Canadian friends tend to gloat about their diesel mileage more than they should, but of course, Canucks and Math, you know... :D

(I would hope that an imperial quart is still 1/4 of an imperial gallon, but who knows with those blokes...:))

Being of British and Canadian citizenship I can say that the only mile that gets used commonly is the same mile that the Yanks use, the statute mile. ;p

I have no idea what the "Imperial Mile" is, unless you mean the "old English mile" which no one has used in ages. When Canucks talk about MPG you're quite right to point out that the measurement could be made using the Imperial gallon, which is bigger, and so obviously would let you drive more miles.

Canucks officially started to use the metric system in the mid 70's so the "official" measurement of fuel economy here in the stereotypical frozen north known as Canuckland is in "litres per 100 kilometres". Personally I usually prefer to use US MPG, but for most units of measure metric makes the most sense, the units are more easily interchanged.

One US gallon = 128 US fluid ounces... (who the hell measures anything in 128ths?) one mile = 5280 feet, WTF? :confused:

Because the US is our biggest trading partner and we still have such strong ties to the U.K., most of us Canucks are reasonably conversant in all three variations of measurement, metric, Imperial and US.

Or maybe it is that Canadians just know how to get better fuel economy. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom