Can someone explain the double nut procedure for removing studs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm taking off the intake/exh manifold to change the gasket/have it machined and can't get the manifold off the exhaust tube with the studs still in the engine block.

Can some please describe the double nut procedure to remove studs?:cheers:

you screw two nuts onto the stud and tighten them against one another. You need to get them pretty tight, but do some trial and error so you don't deform the threads on the stud. To remove the stud (by turning the stud counter clockwise) you would put your wrench on the bottom nut. Because it is jammed against the top nut, the bottom nut should not turn on the stud, but the stud should turn with the nut.

To install the stud (turn clockwise) put the wrench on the top nut.

If the nuts turn and the stud does not, then the nuts need to be jammed together more tightly.

Make sense?

you need to have enough exposed thread to put two nuts on. There are special built tools (stud extractors) that might work if the two nut method does not.

yes they do make stud puller that grabs on the non threaded portion of the stud, but you need a good bit of room to use it and a good portion of the stud exposed to use the extractor as well.

you screw two nuts onto the stud and tighten them against one another.

I use 2 end wrenches, one on each nut, squeeze them together with the hand while rotating in the correct direction with the arm.

You should really replace the studs and bolts when you change your manifold gasket. They get stretched with time and don't put the correct pressure on the flange for a given torque. Plus, it's like $15-20 to help ensure not having to tear into all of that junk again for a long time.

Also, you can replace the studs with bolts while you're at it. I really wish I'd done that, because it would have made the reinstall a lot easier. So, instead of two studs, four large bolts, you'd just get six of the large bolts, plus the two smaller end-bolts.

Funny, I like having all studs for my manifolds...but I do change them every 2 or 3 times I pull the manifolds.

thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'll try the flat washer between the two nuts and see if I can pull the trick off. And it does seem like a good idea to replace them and the bolts now that it was suggested seeing as how these things are super heated and them cooled so much.

I definitely do not want to be doing this job again for the next 20 years!!:cheers:

Don't forget the anti-seize when you put it back together...somebody may thank you in 20 years.

There is no need to replace the studs or the bolts just because you take the manifold off. They do not wear out.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom