can someone confirm for me...concerning emissions system '76 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can someone confirm that for a '76 the Only Main emissions system components include:

Air Pump
&
ABV ?

(and then im guessing charcoal canister as well)

048D2.gif

IDK if this helps but...
15943660574439155516401364694139.jpg

15943661122993595013958061164351.jpg

Looks to me like PCV, Evap, Throttle positioner Sys, TCS, EGR Manifold Air Injection system, Power Valve Control system, HAI, Transistorized ignition system, and heat control valve system if I'm reading that right.

Last edited:
computer, Vacuum Switching Valve, speedometer cable counter (there is a proper name)

That page in the manual seems not so precise. Like '76 didn't have an AAP, cat, auto choke, double advance distributor, IIRC.

Yes the ‘3/76 at least had points, no transistorized ignition. I believe ‘78 was the first year for that.

computer, Vacuum Switching Valve, speedometer cable counter (there is a proper name)

That page in the manual seems not so precise. Like '76 didn't have an AAP, cat, auto choke, double advance distributor, IIRC.
Speed marker.

Check the last column of the table (for the FJ), no circle in those rows.

IDK if this helps but...View attachment 2367015
View attachment 2367018
Looks to me like PCV, Evap, Throttle positioner Sys, TCS, EGR Manifold Air Injection system, Power Valve Control system, HAI, Transistorized ignition system, and heat control valve system if I'm reading that right.

Does this manual have a print date? When looking up parts it shows 2/76 Canada started it own model number ending with am K verses an A. I have an 10/75 76 model. It's hardly ever been driven and basically like it left the factory with only 4,500 miles. Air pump froze and drive belt remove but it's still there.

Some trivia - in the table above, the MX model is the Corona Mark II with the 4M 6-cylinder engine.

I don't know in which month, or whether just CA or Federal too, but 76's had semi-transistorized ignition (ignitor controlled by points). It was a pretty good system. Point lasted forever and it could be wired either semi-electronic or full-on points.

Yes the ‘3/76 at least had points, no transistorized ignition. I believe ‘78 was the first year for that.

Am I reading it wrong, or doesn't it indicate that those things were not included given there is no dot under the FJ column?

Does this manual have a print date? When looking up parts it shows 2/76 Canada started it own model number ending with am K verses an A. I have an 10/75 76 model. It's hardly ever been driven and basically like it left the factory with only 4,500 miles. Air pump froze and drive belt remove but it's still there.
15943979872266426432564224266977.jpg

I have an 10/75 76 model. It's hardly ever been driven and basically like it left the factory with only 4,500 miles. Air pump froze and drive belt remove but it's still there.
That's awesome. Mine was in similar state with Air Pump in place but no belt and it had seized up. All other smog stuff still in tact.

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

My 2/76 CA spec. Doesn't have an EGR maintenance interval detector and the corresponding EGR maintenance warning light. I think federal spec. rigs have them.

My 40 also has the semi-electronic ignition referred to by @spotcruiser.

My rig:
IMG_2574.JPG

EGR maintenance interval detector on passenger side firewall:
IMG_3354.PNG

EGR maintenance warning light:
IMG_3357.PNG

Last edited:
Just another reason to buy a '75 and older in California! No SMOG checks.

Hybrid points system, pointless magnetic pickup in my ‘78.

My Feb. 76 CA truck had the semi-electronic ignition and did not have an EGR light. It did have the maintenance interval detector (speed marker) and the two speedo cables though. And it most definitely had an EGR system. So, Toyota did some weird things trying to deal with the various smog mandates. :)

My Feb. 76 CA truck had the semi-electronic ignition and did not have an EGR light. It did have the maintenance interval detector (speed marker) and the two speedo cables though. And it most definitely had an EGR system. So, Toyota did some weird things trying to deal with the various smog mandates. :)

Interesting, thanks. A PO could have easily removed mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom